Sovtek Big Muff

Anti-Hero665

I have never been "taught" on guitar or bass, but have become fairly good at both. However, I suck at all the technical aspects of music. For instance, I have had a Sovtek Big Muff pedal for about seven years. While playing bass, I use it from time to time to get a Jesus and Mary Chain or BRMC kinda sound out of it. I've tweaked and toyed, but have still never really gotten the sound I want out of it.
When my band went into the studio, the engineer recorded us with Cubase. He wanted me to plug directly into the system instead of my amp. I did, but when it came time to use the Big Muff, it sounded like utter and complete dog crap. Does anyone have any suggestions on tweaking that sucker?

I believe the Big Muff is meant as a guitar pedal. That's not to say that it can't be used with bass, but maybe the tone you're looking for could be better obtained using a bass fuzz pedal. I think MXR makes one that's supposed to be good, and Z-Vex makes one as well....very, very cool but also very, very expensive.

If you're set on using the Big Muff, I would say definitely run it through an amp, and mic up the amp. Distortion pedals generally don't sound that great with direct inject.

Record the distorted parts through a mic'ed amp. If your engineer is worth two shits he would already be on top of it. If your engineer tells you that direct inject is the only "propper" way to record bass, then the guy is a douche and you should find another studio.

Just my 2 cents

Awesome. Thanks. We're actually going back into the studio @ the end of this month, so I'll convey your sentiments to our engineer. Hehe.. I'll be nice, of course... wait. No, I won't.

Back