Retubing 5150 head / need help with correct tubes

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
Hello everyone,

I've got a question for my guitarist.

He owns (2) 5150 signature series heads, and he wants to purchase new tubes for the heads.

Well my question is:

What are the correct tubes to retube this amp with, to get the proper HIGH GAIN sound that the 5150 pumps out.
I know there are several different kinds of 6L6's,..like 6L6gc's, etc.
Which one's work the best for retaining the high end sound and low end sound in the amps?
I know some 6L6's will give just a low end sound,..and vice versa with high end.
Which one's are proper for both high end and low end sound?
The last one's he purchased were the Groove tubes (not sure of the letters after the 6L6) and they were horrible compared to the originals that came in the amps when purchased brand new, after Peavey released them.
Someone recommended JJ's somethin' tubes for an extremely heavy sound.
But, Is it actually possible to put JJ's in a 5150 that's not modded?
I know some tube amps allow you to switch between tubes like 6L6's and EL34's or whatever have you.
Anyone?
Also,..Don't you have to Bias the tubes when they are new?
and if so,..anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

retubing amps

For my vintage stuff I prefer vintage tubes.... ya know what your going to get mostly...just type the tube number into ebay.... NOS are da best...

All my 6L6 amps are retubed with old tungsol 5881's which is just the military version...JAN tubes are great if you can find them.....

as far as 6L6 and the extra letters.... just means its a glass tube instead of a metal one.... and there are newer ones.... buyer beware some are great some are junk... forget the chinaman tubes...

by the way... the tungsol 5881's were especially valued for their "texas twang"

and yes tube amps should be re biased after retubing... but in the tradition of garage bands..... at least make them the same brand

good luck

mellonhead

retubing amps

For my vintage stuff I prefer vintage tubes.... ya know what your going to get mostly...just type the tube number into ebay.... NOS are da best...

All my 6L6 amps are retubed with old tungsol 5881's which is just the military version...JAN tubes are great if you can find them.....

as far as 6L6 and the extra letters.... just means its a glass tube instead of a metal one.... and there are newer ones.... buyer beware some are great some are junk... forget the chinaman tubes...

by the way... the tungsol 5881's were especially valued for their "texas twang"

and yes tube amps should be re biased after retubing... but in the tradition of garage bands..... at least make them the same brand

good luck

mellonhead

Back