Replacement pickup for Squier Bullet Special?

Unsprung

Since the Squier Bullet Special was essentially modelled after Fender's Tom DeLonge Blink 182 Strat (stripped down Strat with a single, bridge position Seymour Duncan Invader, 1 volume control), I've somewhat planned to upgrade to an Invader even when I'd ordered it from Musician's Friend, last summer. Then last month, I "just had" to order me a Fender So-Cal Speed Strat, again from Musician's Friend, and decided to leave well enough alone, there, since the So-Cal Strat sounds tons better than the Bullet Special.

In playing around with various "soundscape" ideals, however, I discovered that the So-Cal Strat can seriously "growl like a tiger," if I tune all of the strings a whole note down from standard. At the same time, with standard tuning, it'll go from "singing oh so sweetly," playing on the high strings, to "growls like a tiger," playing on the low strings. Which leaves me with the dilema of wanting to do both, but without having to always down tune and up tune. Which is where my Bullet Special could come in handy.

With the current (stock) humbucker, the Bullet Special will never be able to hold a candle to the sound of the So-Cal Strat. Now, the Seymour Duncan Invader is still an idea, but what about something like a TV Jones MagnaTron? Of course, at this point, I'm open to suggestions, of other passive humbuckers that I may not be thinking about. The Bullet Special ain't all that bad a guitar, but for wanting the "sings oh so sweetly/growls like a tiger" it could be better. Once I have the Bullet Special upgraded, then I can experiment between it and the So-Cal Strat, as to which one gets standard tuned, and which one gets down tuned.

Matt in Indiana

Cardioidpotent said:
What does that sound like? Anybody famous that I could identify the sound with?
Wow! To be honest, I can't really think of anybody that tunes everything a whole note down from standard. I only discovered this the second time I played the So-Cal Strat...started out with some "see what kinda cool sounds I can make" jamming, but when I decided to practice a bit an existing song, I was essentially snapped out of my groove when I discovered within a few bars that it was severely out of tune. I was playing through my POD 2.0, so I switched to the tuner mode, and there was a few strings actually more than a whole note below tune, but I decided when down tuning it back that only whole notes below standard would suffice = D, G, C, F, A, D.

I do know that I was probably "a tad" overly excited, when I had the first chance to play the So-Cal Speed Shop Strat 'cause I really wailed away on it, for about 2 or 3 hours...plugging into my POD, plugging into my Peavey TransTube 258 EFX combo, plugging into my Vox T25 bass combo...thouroughly examining as many sound possibilities as I could think to try. Who knows...maybe instead of upgrading the Squier Bullet Special, I should sell it and get a Gibson Melody Maker instead? Right now, upgrading the Squier would be my better option, though.

Matt in Indiana

Back