Pre-amp out vs. micing cabinet

nuska

I've been recording our band live in our rehearsal space with a limited amount of mics, using one in the kick, one overhead the drums, and a close SM57 on the guitarist's fender blues Deville (keys are sent direct to the mixer). I would like to take the 57 and put it on the snare and take a direct line from the Deville's preamp out. I'll probably answer this question next time we record, but are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing this. Will there be a marked difference in tone? I love the sound he gets, and don't want to sacrifice the warm distortion for the sake of getting a cleaner snare sound. Thanks.

I'm a bit of a pauper myself, so I usually try to find a way to work around equipment shortages, but in this case, I'd say your best bet is to swallow the 80-100 bucks and buy another 57. The more mics you have, the more control you have. I've never gotten what I consider to be a satisfactory guitar sound from running direct. Good dist. sound is all about pushing air. The good news is that you don't have to spend your life savings on 57's and they're always nice to have around.

I record with a hot rod deville myself and have tried going from the pre out into the console.It sounds ok for rythm tracks with a little reverb,but for lead....NO WAY!
One of the sweet things about that amp is its warm rich spring reverb which is post preamp.
For 100.00 you can get a red box pro which can go from a speaker out into the console thus enabling you to use the amps reverb, but for 100.00 you can get another sm57, right?

I'm becoming more and more happy with the sound of the recording out from my Mesa DC-3.
This is a dedicated recording out however and I don't know if the pre-amp out on the deville is optimized for recording or not (I'm guessing probaly not) If you do try it though be sure that you don't add any gain (i.e trim control on a mixer) to the signal before the recorder, cause you will be hearing more of the sound of the mixers preamp instead of the amp pre-out (It took me a little while to figure that out with the DC-3)

-jhe

Back