the pot problem

HoGung

When I got a '76 Gibson LP in exellent condition from a trailer dwelling meatle head I figured the mush sound was from the Di Marzio super distortion pic ups and since the price was so low I could afford new pic-ups in the 7-8K range and still come out ahead.Unfortunatly after installing a nice pair of Seymour Duncans I was surprised and disapointed to have the same mush sound,only quieter.So....I tore it all down and checked it out with the meter and guess what?The original pots were showing 40-50 ohms where they should have have had 1 ohm or less,just enough to shave off the highs.No bueno,amigos.Twenty dollars and some soldering later and the sound is saaweeet!By the way,the 14K ohm. DiMarzios were not reinstalled.Why do that to a fine intrument?

Thanks for the advice, I hope people appreciated it for what it is and didn't get all disappointed because they thought they were going to find out where to buy some bud cheap or something :) ... anyway, this could start a good thread on guitar elecrtical mods if anyone's interested.

I was a little disappointed, but you're right Dragon, this could get interesting too.
I have to disagree with the dis on DiMarzio. I've got one of those over-wound, extra-hot, super distortion pickups in the brige postion on one of my guitars and I love it. It gives the signal a kick in pants where it needs it, at the source.
It's also got an SD SH-1 in the neck position that was on it when I bought it. I like it as well but I use it for a completely different kind of sound. Having both is like two guitars in one.
Does anyone else like to bypass the tone control when they change pickups?

Back