OLP Guitars ???

King Elvis

I play with a guy at church who has a Music Man Axis. Its the EVH guitar the MM used to make for him till he jumped ship to Peavey. Anyway, its a cool axe, but pricey. I have looked around and noticed that OLP makes knockoffs of EVH axes. I have read some good reviews on them and they are priced REALLY CHEAP. I know Axe4yaweh has a couple that he really likes and based on his testimony I scored one on ebay for $120.00. Photo-flame top, 2 HB's looks really cool but havent played it yet. Any of you guys have and experience with them and what are your likes or dislikes??

I was also curious about this after reading how axe4yahweh swore by them.

In other words, I have no input, but am anxiously awaiting a testimonial!

(?consider this a *bump*?)

Pure crap!

These guitars have the cheapest wiring, pots, and pickups, which leads to poor tone and scratchy-noisy sounds that will eventually drive you nuts. The fretwork is junk and the cheapo tuners probably won't last more than a couple of years, at best.

If you buy an OLP guitar, you'll be kicking yourself in less than 2 months. I can't stress that enough! Don't just walk away from these guitars........ RUN!!!!!

The best electric guitar you can buy under $200 is still the Yamaha Pacifica. No other guitar comes close to the quality and tone of the Pacifica as far as "entry level" guitars go.... not a single one of them.

I already have a Yamaha Pacifica. It has a tele style body, cherry sunburst, gold hardware and a pearloid pick guard. I replaced the pup's with Seymours and its a great guitar.

well see

i scored one from music 123, iwas going to get a linesix guitar port for $169.00 but they had a guitarport and olp guitar package for $189.00 so i got it, the insane price of the guitar leads me to think its not gonna be that great but for 20 bones it doesnt have to be!! normal price is $199.00 just for the axe, its in shipping right now so ill let you know what i think of it when its in.

got it

guitar came in and its quite impressive imho its well worth retail it blows away any squier or other intro guitar that ive played or owned time will be its test as buck62 stated, but so far i DO NOT regret the investment of 20 dollars HEE HEE great action for a cheapie too the headstock is very wierd at first small little bugger!!

I got mine and I gotta say I am impressed as well. Amber quilt MM1 Axis EVH guitar. It looks awsome. It is built sturdy. The neck has a smaller profile than I am used to. I feel like I can rip all over this neck, although I cant shred with a darn. The only complaints that I have, and this is not the guitars fault, the action is not where I want it. Bear in mind that the one I got was pre-owned...but man, the action is WAY too high as is the bridge pup. I do all of the work on my axes myself so its no big deal.

i love it now

ive played this thing all day and messed around with the guitar port with it too, itll get any sound my kramer will and it has better sound on clean channels!! it stays tuned fairly well and i havnt noticed any noise through the volume or five way switch,that little headstock is still wierd but im getting used to it but man is it funky! i like the one your talking about mine is a mm4 with one bucker and two singles which ill prob. replace sooner or later, i have to say the finish on mine incredible too with a REAL candy paint job (meaning its got a bronze basecoat with a red tinted clear) the pictures do it no justice whatsoever!

Buck62 said:
Pure crap!

These guitars have the cheapest wiring, pots, and pickups, which leads to poor tone and scratchy-noisy sounds that will eventually drive you nuts. The fretwork is junk and the cheapo tuners probably won't last more than a couple of years, at best.

If you buy an OLP guitar, you'll be kicking yourself in less than 2 months. I can't stress that enough! Don't just walk away from these guitars........ RUN!!!!!

The best electric guitar you can buy under $200 is still the Yamaha Pacifica. No other guitar comes close to the quality and tone of the Pacifica as far as "entry level" guitars go.... not a single one of them.

have you owned one? if so how long did it last? mines great so far,

Buck62 said:
Pure crap!

im not bagging on your opinon here or anything, but they really arent that bad,at all. as some of you may know, i work in the returns of musicians friend, and i HAVE to play atleast one of them a day. the build quiality in my personal opinion beats gibsons (but i see alot of things you guys dont about them). the pick ups and hardware are a little cheesy, but its a cheep guitar, and they play and sound good. so who cares.

i own one, ive got the silhoute baritone, and i play it every bit as much as my usa hammer standard, or my gibson les paul studio.
play more than one and i bet you will change your mind about them.

Let me say this again....

The problem I have with super-cheapo guitars like OLP's is that they have inferior electronics, hardware, and fretwork. Hence, you get a lot of scratchy, noisey sound from cheapo pots and even more noise when your fingers lift off of the strings.

Last time I checked, this place was called "Home Recording dot-com." If you used an OLP guitar for recording it would be an excercise in frustration, as you try to eliminate the noise from cheap-shit wiring and pots. This also affects tone, making for a less-desirable sound than many other lower-priced guitars. Of course, the use of different strings and amps will make for many opinions on their tone.

No offense to you, revoltingyouth, but when you say "the build quiality in my personal opinion beats gibsons", you are living in a fantasy world where cheap guitars rule and your English teacher gives you an "A" for the 20+ grammar and punctuation errors in the two short paragraphs you typed.

As for using these guitars for "live" performances, I stand by my assessment of the fretwork and tuners. The 4 or 5 OLP's I played at Guitar Center would be hard to keep in PROPER tune all up and down the neck with the shoddy fretwork I observed. Each one of them was so bad that it wouldn't justify the cost of paying a guitar-tech to correct the problem. The tuners will last about 2 years, tops (depending on the player) before they get too loose and need replacement. It would be much easier to just buy a better guitar right off the bat.

Even their name screams of cheapness... "Officially Licensed Product" :rolleyes:

Once again, I stand behind my opinion to stay away from these pieces of junk. They make cheapest "bottom-of-the-barrel" Samicks look quite good by comparison.

But hey, what the hell do I know?

I've only been playing and working on guitars for the past 28 years.

im not going to argue with you man, he asked for opinions on it, you gave yours, i gave mine, youve been playing for the past 28 years, i ve been playing for 8 and work at musicians freind, where i see the down falls of most equipment. so who cares, he shouldnt have to have his thread be crammed full of crap on whether or not people think thier stuff is good.

and my dream world that i live in..... dont tell me about my job, i see more broken headstocks, faulty wiring, poor set up, and most importantly horrid fret jobs on gibsons every day than you will probably see in your life. the only reason i even play gibsons is because i can get them cheap, because they are so messed up half the time. you know all those guitars you see on the musicians friend website in the strach and dent, i am one of the people that puts them there. dont argue over things you have no clue about.

and yes i have recorded with my mm5 batitone, no harder or easier than any other time, and no, i dont record in home studios for the most part. i record in the real thing. my band's home base is black lodge studios in eudora ks. if you know who ed rose is, you will know how nice of a studio this is.

and just so you know im not just talking out my butt, here is a semi-done clip off of our new ep.

-you may need to cut and paste-

but you know what i do agree with you on the yamaha statement, yamaha has some of the best guitars for the money out there.
but hey what do i know, i only see the crap most guitar companys make, from 9-5, 5 days a week (or more).

so let the guy come to his own conclusion, with out some one trying to push their opinion down his throat.

Last edited:
Whoa fellas, no need to fight. I value all opinions that I can get. I am a sucker for a cheap guitar so I dont know anything about Gibsons. I do have an Epi Les Paul Junior that just sux. I have worked with that thing for a while and I just can not get it to stay in tune. Now, I did a setup on my OLP and the thing plays great. I cant knock this one OUT of tune. I would go with the OLP over the Epi anyday. Oh yeah, the OLP is not noisy at ALL!!!

Back