new amp

ha ha on the forum of that site a guy asks whats a good replacement for the dsl 40c. nobody has answered yet.

he says the stock speaker is harsh

The boss of that place almost always suggests the Veteran 30 or Reaper. It's like he has a ton in stock or something. It might be the answer. I think you should at least listen to the clips and try to decide for yourself.

it looks like the et65 might be a good bet

in the meantime im using my tone control on my guitars to mellow the amp out. so thats what the tone control is for! im getting some usable sounds with the tone all the way down. i like that better than turning the eq down on the amp. some guys say they keep the treble on the amp at 0 but to me that doesnt sound very good. i have all the tones and reverb straight up.

Damn man, that's pretty drastic. What kind of sounds are you looking for? Maybe that's not the right amp for you. How do you feel about the "classic" channel? That's a much more mellowed out channel on the DSL. Is there anywhere you can plug it into a 4x12 and see how it sounds?

i live in a small town and not much chance of finding a 4x12

the classic channel is pretty sweet. a little bright but not overly.

i wanted to get slash sounds and randy rhodes. i plugged my strat in today with a fuzz and wah and both channels sound great with that so i'm pretty happy with the amp right now. the brightness seems to work well with the wah.

i dont know if i would characterize the sound as icepick to the ears. just a brightness that a different speaker could smooth out.

Dude, try an overdrive pedal. Pretty much all tube Marshalls LOVE boost pedals. Mine does. I've got a Tube Screamer and a Boss SD-1 - both great in front with the level jacked and the drive on 0. Slash and Randy Rhoads tones should technically be no problem, but I think you'll like it better with a 4x12 or a bigger 2x12..

$599 for the 40W combo? That's cheaper than the 15W head is over here (£399), where Marshall supposedly comes from!

Quite. I went and tried the DSL 15W head the other day, along with the 1W JCM800 and 1W JMP something or other. The little JCM800 was the best of the bunch, IMHO. Actually, though, I prefer the sound of my little Vox Night Train (15W head) - for the price, I think it can't be beat.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the one watt Marshalls. And at 750 U.S. bucks...they're laughable. I've only minimally played with the DSL15 but it was okay. I like the big wattage amps. They just sound better to me. The DSL100H is awesome. I loved it.

$599 for the 40W combo? That's cheaper than the 15W head is over here (£399), where Marshall supposedly comes from!

we have a store that actually discounts lower than everybody else. sam ash. marshall and fender and gibson dont seem to allow those discounts at most places so i wonder how sam ash gets away with it.

Back