I have a warped neck on my Acoustic Guitar?

This is my first guitar that i got about 10 years ago for Xmas. I played it untill i got an electric guitar about 2 years later, at the time i was still didnt know about Truss rods and tension on the neck from the strings, so after i got my electric guitar i put the acoustic away in its case with NO STRINGS for about a year (through the humidity and everything). When I came back and tried putting new strings on i found it didnt play properly ( i didnt know why) so i took the guitar down to my local guitar shop (this guy didnt know what he was doing) and all he did was put on a new bridge and file down a few frets, when i got it back home i read in a book i had about Truss rods and i figured that was the problem so i took out a Alan Wrench and fiddled with it till i got it right, and it worked but it was/is still kind of off. Ive been trying to find another Acoustic guitar that feels and sounds as good, but i cant so now I want to take this guitar to a Real Expert on guitar repair, and see if he can fix it, I think all it needs is to have is its truss rod tweaked alil more and maybe a few new frets. Anyone here Know if this usually cost? and how long it would take?

Most guitar repair guys...

Will do it in 1-2 days and the cost for a guitar setup around Houston is $25-$35 + strings...
Call a local guitar store and ask...

I do my own electrics, but for my acoustics, I will let them screw it up....

Hope this helps, I still have my first $10 garage sale acoustic...right next to my $600 Ovation....and I play them both...

Good Luck

Just a suggestion for ya. Make sure before you take it somewhrere, make sure they have a luthier on staff. A luthier is someone that should know what they are doing. Don't just trust anyone.

Good luck
Joe

neck

You didn't say how the action is as far as high or low, but maybe this will help. Tune the guitar up to standard pitch and fret the low E string at the first fret, at the same time fret the low E with the thumb of right hand on the 12th fret, now check the gap at the 8th fret, it should be somewhere around .010 in. If the gap is greater, turn the rod clockwise, if there is no gap, turn counter clockwise. after all this then you can look at the height at the nut and saddle. Good height at the 1st fret would be .020 in. or less. If you get this far and the action is high up the neck then the saddle needs to be lowered. If the saddle is as low as it can go then the neck angle is off at the neck to body joint, thats a big repair.I build and repair guitars for a living, but without seeing the guitar, i'm just guessing. All the measurements I gave you are just average numbers.
Hope this helps.

That's the stuff Stan,

I'm printing your reply off for future reference. I remember years ago when I used to take guitars to this old violin maker/luthier, he would hold it and check it out in the manner you have described, now I know what the heck he was doin'.

Back