I finally got it.

Zaphod B

Raccoons-Be-Gone, Inc.
The downward chord progression on Led Zep's Kashmir that occurs at the end of the verses. It's been bugging me for a long time. I finally sat down a few weeks ago and fucked around with it until the light came on. It's so simple I'm ashamed of myself. :o

(For the record, I even searched the guitar tab sites - I consider this cheating but sue me - and didn't find any tabs that were correct.)

I'm sure there are 10 of you fuckers who are going to pipe up and say, "Well, duh! I've known that for years! :D "

For the rest of you, PM me an unmarked $20 bill and I'll consider telling you how it's done. ;) :D

come on now. Share the wealth. Let us know how stupid/easy it is. Not that I plan to ever play that song, if it's something interesting, I'd still like to know. So spill it!

OK. Let's see if I can explain it. It's simply the same two chord configurations played alternately at descending points on the fretboard. The configurations are the standard "A" and "E" as you would normally fret them near the nut the at the second fret, using only the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings.

Start at the 12th fret. Fret the 4/3/2 (D/G/B) strings at the 12th, ("A" configuration), then fret 4/3 at 12th, 2 at 11th ("E" configuration).

Repeat this alternation at the 10th, 7th, 5th, and 3rd frets. (I think these are the correct fret numbers - I don't have my guitar at hand right now. I'll fix it later if it's not right.) Finish the run by playing the last three notes singly on the 4th string (F,E, open D).

That's it. If you will check out what Jimmy Page is doing on any of the live videos of Kashmir it sounds and looks correct.

(Oh, the sixth string should be tuned a step down, to D - not that it matters for this progression.)

Edit: I had the string numbers completely buggered but fixed them. Sorry about the confusion, if there was any.

Last edited:
Are the increasing posts of Zeppelin due to the news that they're gonna do gigs again????

Are ye old hippies just drooling your shirts wet, and dripping in your pants???....

Or is it another beating of a dead horse?:confused::eek:

OK. Let's see if I can explain it. It's simply the same two chord configurations played alternately at descending points on the fretboard. The configurations are the standard "A" and "E" as you would normally fret them near the nut the at the second fret, using only the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings.

Start at the 12th fret. Fret the 4/3/2 (D/G/B) strings at the 12th, ("A" configuration), then fret 4/3 at 12th, 2 at 11th ("E" configuration).

Repeat this alternation at the 10th, 7th, 5th, and 3rd frets. (I think these are the correct fret numbers - I don't have my guitar at hand right now. I'll fix it later if it's not right.) Finish the run by playing the last three notes singly on the 4th string (F,E, open D).

That's it. If you will check out what Jimmy Page is doing on any of the live videos of Kashmir it sounds and looks correct.

(Oh, the sixth string should be tuned a step down, to D - not that it matters for this progression.)

Edit: I had the string numbers completely buggered but fixed them. Sorry about the confusion, if there was any.

While I am 30 miles from the nearest guitar, I can totally here/see it. Cool. Maybe I will try to learn that song. That's a very identifyable cool little run.

That's a very identifyable cool little run.
Yes, it really is. Simple and effective. And what made it so hard for me was trying to get the damned synthesizer out of my head and just concentrate on the notes.

Check it out when you can, Andy, and let me know if you think it's right.

I can't be positive but I remember it differently. Last time I paid attention to this (100 years ago), I believe it was played like this:

Open D, 12th Fret G string, 12th fret high E string (Tuned down to D)
then
Open D, 11th Fret G string, 12th fret high E string

And so on in the same positions you mentioned.

Simple! Always assume simple with Page. He might be my favorite guitarist ever, but his fingers don't like to move much:) I remember being shocked at how simple the Rain Song was. Get the tuning right, and it's pure low stress fun. He was brilliant that way.

I can't be positive but I remember it differently. Last time I paid attention to this (100 years ago), I believe it was played like this:

Open D, 12th Fret G string, 12th fret high E string (Tuned down to D)
then
Open D, 11th Fret G string, 12th fret high E string

And so on in the same positions you mentioned.

Simple! Always assume simple with Page. He might be my favorite guitarist ever, but his fingers don't like to move much:) I remember being shocked at how simple the Rain Song was. Get the tuning right, and it's pure low stress fun. He was brilliant that way.
I can see that that might work, too. I think either one gets to pretty much the same place.

In my method the A string is not detuned, it's just not played, but the D/G/B strings are played each time, and the 1st E is not played. The bottom D note is left to the bass guitar (or synth) during the run.

I'll try yours if you try mine. Then lets compare notes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I edited the A string part of my note out after rereading yours. Surprised you even had time to catch that.

Another distant memory is that he used to play Black Mountain Side as an intro to Kashmir live, which means the guitar is tuned DADGAD (again, if memory serves).

Yeah, I edited the A string part of my note out after rereading yours. Surprised you even had time to catch that.

Another distant memory is that he used to play Black Mountain Side as an intro to Kashmir live, which means the guitar is tuned DADGAD (again, if memory serves).
Right, I've seen a YouTube video of just that - his performance of Black Mountain Side was embarassingly bad on this particular night. They segued immediately into Kashmir.

I can't speak to the tuning of Black Mountain Side - I've never messed with it.

Back