hearing protection

pchorman

Most of us probably know many musicians who incurred permanent hearing damage. That's obviously something to be avoided, but I find it real disappointing to hear my instrument muffled along with everything else through ear plugs.

Just a poll: How many of you use some form of hearing protection for band practice or live performance? How many choose not to?

Thanks

Yeah, I hate the plugs too. I've tried a few different ones, and I now have some with the little metal capsule inside. The muffled sound actually goes away after a little while, but the problem is that the plugs are really too uncomfortable for me to wear for that long. I think soon I'm going to spring for in-the-ear monitors and I'll have the hearing-aid folks at the eyeglass place mold me some plugs as well. Funny how situations change...in my last band I was elder and quiet with the least amount of hair and in the band I'm in now I'm young and loud and had the most hair (till I shaved my head! Ha!)

I know about the damage, too. In loud environments, my wife has to talk into my neck, because if she raises her voice into my ear, it causes quite a bit of pain. Ringing comes on fast and stays long. I think that most of the damage wasn't caused by electric guitar, but by the sealed headphones I had all through high school.

Ahh...I long for the days of immortality!

peace.

Oh god.. I hate ear plugs, but I love being able to hear after a practice. I dont mind the muffled sound, I just can't get into it and I get tired cuz there's no energy in whats coming through my plugs.

regebro: where can I get these? That website doesn't accept orders. An internet search comes up dry. Do most music stores carry them?

No - nevermind. I just realized you're on the other side of the pond. They don't sell those plugs in the US it seems, only bigger, uglier and more protruding Frankenstien-types.

Thanks anyway.

With earplugs,I can't tell relative levels with the other vocals.I tend to shout because Im not hearing as well.
So I put up with the high SPL to better do backup vocals.

Tom

I use the Sure in ear monitors, even in practive, so that everything doesnt have to be pushed up. Also, I DO put the drummer in the next room, which is my recording room in my house, which is sound treated somewhat. That really helps out on the sound.

Back