Gibson vs Epiphone components question and other things about guitars to teach a newb

liv_rong

Knows very little
So today I cleaned both of my electrics and installed new strings and took note of a few different things and thought some of you guys would know. First thing is on the bridge does it matter which way the screws face? Ive seen them face both ways so Im guessing it doesnt at all. Another thing noticed is on my Gibson the tailpiece just sits there whereas on my Epi it has little retention spring clips that hold it in place on the posts so you have to give it a little pull to get it off. Whats the deal here? Is one better than the other? I did the Gibson first then the Epi but I noticed the Epi has "Epiphone" molded onto the bottom of the tailpiece but I didnt notice that on the other. I know it doesnt matter, but maybe it does somehow? Maybe I have a generic tailpiece that I dont know about lol?

Onto something else, my buddy has an Epiphone LP Custom that weighs significantly less than my Gibson LP. I was under the assumption that they were pretty much the same guitar constructed using the same wood just a different top maybe.

Another question, what do you guys use to clean your bodies and oil your fretboards? Ive read a ton of different forums and blogs and there is a bunch of different info out there. I used to hear lemon oil but I read that it dries it out. So Ive been using the Dunlop oil and it seems to be ok. How often should I apply it? And for the bodies I have a flat finish on my Epi I still havent found a good cleaner for that. And on my LP I noticed today that I added a few tiny unnoticeable swirl mark scratches in a couple spots on the finish, they are super small and not even noticeable unless under the right angle and light. What should I use for that?

I know that's a lot of questions! I appreciate any advice!

It doesn't matter which way the screws face until it does, meaning, if it's set up one way, leave it that way. Some notches are wider for the bigger strings, and some aren't. It just depends on what you have.

The bridge with the little clip is probably an ABR bridge, no clip is the Nashville. It really depends on how they mount to the guitar. No real functional difference between the two. Cheaper Epis usually get an ABR.

The wood...the Epi is probably some mystery generic guitar wood like Basswood. Who knows. An Epi LP Custom might be actual mahogany, but heavily chambered. Your Traditional is minimally weight relieved, if at all.

I don't clean my guitars with anything but a dry rag, so I can't be any help there.

It doesn't matter which way the screws face until it does, meaning, if it's set up one way, leave it that way. Some notches are wider for the bigger strings, and some aren't. It just depends on what you have.

The bridge with the little clip is probably an ABR bridge, no clip is the Nashville. It really depends on how they mount to the guitar. No real functional difference between the two. Cheaper Epis usually get an ABR.

The wood...the Epi is probably some mystery generic guitar wood like Basswood. Who knows. An Epi LP Custom might be actual mahogany, but heavily chambered. Your Traditional is minimally weight relieved, if at all.

I don't clean my guitars with anything but a dry rag, so I can't be any help there.

Thanks for the insight sir. I believe mine has the standard type swiss cheese weight relief still, but it is definitely on the heavier side of any LP Ive had my hands on.

While on the topic, I just found this on CL and it looks nice. Any thoughts? Gibson DSDCCTVSCH1 Midtown

Thanks for the insight sir. I believe mine has the standard type swiss cheese weight relief still, but it is definitely on the heavier side of any LP Ive had my hands on.
I thought my Traditional was heavy, and it is relatively heavy compared to other LPs, until I got my 1978 Custom. Holy balls, that fucker is super heavy. If your Traditional is 2011 or newer, it's possible it has no weight relieving at all. I think they went officially no weight relieving in 2014, but some models before that were pure solid too.

While on the topic, I just found this on CL and it looks nice. Any thoughts? Gibson DSDCCTVSCH1 Midtown
Gorgeous guitars that feedback really really bad. No one wants to keep them. I see Midtowns for sale all the time.

I thought my Traditional was heavy, and it is relatively heavy compared to other LPs, until I got my 1978 Custom. Holy balls, that fucker is super heavy. If your Traditional is 2011 or newer, it's possible it has no weight relieving at all. I think they went officially no weight relieving in 2014, but some models before that were pure solid too.

Mine is a 2014. Id love an old Custom in silverburst.

Gorgeous guitars that feedback really really bad. No one wants to keep them. I see Midtowns for sale all the time.

Interesting. This is the first time Ive seen one around here. I have a DOT Studio that I love and it does feedback, though not too bad, when playing on the gain channel but only when you're not playing. I was thinking this would be an upgrade from that.

Interesting. This is the first time Ive seen one around here. I have a DOT Studio that I love and it does feedback, though not too bad, when playing on the gain channel but only when you're not playing. I was thinking this would be an upgrade from that.

I think they have Burstbuckers in the Midtown Customs, but I'm not sure. They're not hot pickups, but something about the design promoted feedback. My bandmate had one and it was beautiful, but it'd feedback all the fucking time. He sold it within a month.

But go check it out. It might be awesome. I don't know why no one wants to keep one though. I really do see them for sale used all the time.

The 1976 clown burst LP custom I had was really heavy. I don't think they had any chambering at all back then. I thought epiphones were mahogany just like the gibsons, but I'll admit I have nothing I was basing that on but assumption. The vantage LP copy I have now is mahogany and its pretty heavy...but I don't think it's as heavy as I remember the old custom as being.

Last edited:
The 1976 clown burst LP custom I had was really heavy. I don't think they had any chambering at all back then. I thought epiphones were mahogany just like the gibsons, but I'll admit I have nothing I was basing that on but assumption. The vantage LP copy I have now is mahogany and its pretty heavy...but I don't think it's as heavy as I remember the old custom as being.

My 78 Custom is a solid mahogany body with a maple cap. It was the first, maybe second year they stopped using pancake bodies. Solid chunk of mahogany, no weight relief, and it is heeeeeavy. It's 12 pounds. My Goldtop Traditional is 11 pounds. I actually really like the heft of these guitars. It doesn't bother me at all, and it feels like I'm playing a real solid instrument instead of a toy.

My 78 Custom is a solid mahogany body with a maple cap. It was the first, maybe second year they stopped using pancake bodies. Solid chunk of mahogany, no weight relief, and it is heeeeeavy. It's 12 pounds. My Goldtop Traditional is 11 pounds. I actually really like the heft of these guitars. It doesn't bother me at all, and it feels like I'm playing a real solid instrument instead of a toy.
Hey man, I agree with you 100% on liking the heft of the old pauls. There is a certain feel to them that I love. The new lighter ones just don't have that feel. It's more than just the heft too. The heavier pauls just feel more solid. Like...you feel like Pete Townsend style windmills wouldn't phase it. The lighter ones you feel like a few windmills may damage it lol
I dunno, it's kind of hard to describe, but anyone who has played a heavy one knows what I mean.

Back