Get it fixed, then sell, or sell it broken?

KingstonRock

PC load letter?
Yo,

I have a David Eden Highwayman head from 98-99 or so, I bought it used at the local shop for $800 out the door 2 years ago, february. I think I'm the second owner, I could be wrong though. Gradually the amp starting getting lower and lower, and the noise of the DI output got louder and louder. At some point the cooling fan stopped coming on and now when I turn on the amp I only get about 1/3 of the lights. Looking back I think I might have messed it up when I was using the DI output without a cabinet pugged in, keeping the power amp unloaded.

I can get it repaired at a fairly nearby place (I dont have to have it shipped to another state for three months) for $80 an hour plus parts; I don't think they do estimates, so I really have no idea what it's gonna cost.

I can't decide If I should fix it and sell it as a used 2 or 3rd owner 98 eden, or try to sell it as a disfuncional unit for someone to fix.

I figure I could get $500 (if I'm lucky) for a functional unit, minus what it costs to fix ($200?). How much do you think I could get for a disfunctional 98 David Eden Highwayman?

BTW, it's a stereo head, 250 watts a side into four ohms, or mono bridged for 500 watts into 8 ohms.

Thanks a bunch,
Eric

P.S. If anyone's interested in the unit in its current condition, pm me to make an offer or for more info/pictures.

Who is charging 80 dollars an hour??
I would find my local amp guy, you know, the one who works out of his house, ask around, local musicans should know where he is, and get him to fix it for 20 an hour.
Theres 3 guys around here, there must be someone around your way.
I never take mine to a music store, costs to much and I dont trust their repairs.

Find a descent repairman that will give you an estimate.$80/hr. is way high for repairwork.I would probably get it fixed before selling it, cause you won't get squat for a broken amp.

All right, it's probably a good idea to get it fixed. The prepal.com figure the amp used is $613, plus the fact that I'm at least the second owner and I'd want to disclose the fact that it had problems. So, I wouldnt mind spending $80 in total to fix it, but $80 an hour is way too much, I'd take a wack at it myself first!

Eric

Back