Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 Amp - Advice?

DigitalDon

Need some advice. My son is looking at a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410 Amp. It's just a couple of months old. Someone traded it in on a keyboard at the local gear store. List is $1039, Musicians Friend sells for $729. The local store wants $500. Absolute mint condition. Even the clear plastic is still on the front emblem. He'll be using it with a Fender Tele Nashville. Even at 17 he prefers the sound of tube over solidstate. Looks like an amp that would last him forever. Opinions please. The $500 is burning a hole in his pocket and I want to make sure he gets the best bang for his bucks.

I have The Hot Rod Deville 410 and use it for My harp and Guitar for Gigs. I love it. Great sound. The only drawback is that it is very loud as a home amp and Heavy to carry to gigs. Last year Iplayed an outdoor gig and the ground was grass and dirt leading up to the bandstand that was the loadin from hell. But Ive never heard a guitarist or anyone else for that matter
say that they could not hear my Harp...Hehe
Sloppyjoe

I was just playing through my friend's Deville 410 last night. I think its a killer amp. I've played a Strat, a Les Paul, and an Epi Sheraton through it, and have been pleased with each. Should sound great with a tele. 5 bills seems a pretty good price for it too. If you've checked it over and it looks good, I'd say go for it.-lzb

DigitalDon,
I have owned a Deville 4x10 for three years now and its everything I want a tube amp to be.I play Strats through it and it sounds sweet. Several players around here have bought one upon hearing my rig live. Nice clean sound,bluesy sounds all day.
It is a bit loud. To get a creamy fully saturated tone I use a Marshall power brake.
Its a "soak", that is it soaks up all the power so you can get the tubes really hot and keep the volume at a managable level. For live and studio miking I will put the master volume on about 9 and then use the soak to just bump up the volume to a nice level :)
500 is a great price especially if they will still give you the 5 year warranty. If not it would be better to save another 200 and get a new one with the warranty. These amps are rugged, but speakers do occasionally blow out even when they are not pushed and speaker replacement has to be at least 100. The Marshall power brake is around 250, or you can use a dist. pedal on the clean channel to get a "heavy" sound.
Hope this helps.

I would guess it will have the warranty on it--that is one of Fender's great sales point-the transferable warranty. I think that the sound of the 410 blows the 212 away. And as others have said--it is plenty loud. Tubes are just underrated when compared to solid state. This thing has a very ample 60 watts, so I hope your son is good because you're going to hear him. I love the Fender Tone-it is how warm and thick are defined in the dictionary. And those 4 10" speakers shout tone. Don't miss this great opportunity. (Can you see what is my next amp purchase is gonna be?)

Peace, Jim

Back