Favorite guitarist....feedback

BlueTurtle said:
Well, that's no small list, lemme tell ya!!!

James Hetfield (Metallica)
Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Kerry King (Slayer)
Jeff Hanneman (Slayer)
Al Jourgensen (Ministry)
Brody Dalle (The Distillers)
Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)
Stephen Carpenter (The Deftones)
Dave Grohl (The Foo Fighters)
Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)
Slash (Guns-N-Roses)
Peter Buck (R.E.M.)
Tim Armstrong (Operation Ivy/Rancid)
John Frusciante (The Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Mike Ness (Social Distortion)
Gordon Gano (The Violent Femmes)
Ernie C. (Body Count)
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson
Chris Isaak Dave Matthews
Adam Jones (Tool)
Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave)
Rich Robinson (The Black Crows)
Frank Black

Sooooooooooooooo many more, soooooo little thread space!!!! :cool:

didnt realise chris isaak played guitar. thought he was just a great singer. is that him doing that beautifully simple line on wicked game?

olfunk said:
didnt realise chris isaak played guitar. thought he was just a great singer. is that him doing that beautifully simple line on wicked game?

I think Chris does the strummy stuff mainly...he's got another guitarist who did the chorusy whammy bend line, basically the lead stuff. I'll pull out the CD & check the credits.

Josh Cunningham from Aussie band "The Waifs", excellent folk/blues guitar player-check out his solo on "London Still"

Ty Tabor-Kings X
Robert Smith-The Cure/Souixie and the Banshees
Willie Nelson
Max Calverra-Sepultura/Soulfly-rythym guitarists can be guitar gods too, right?
Phil Keaggy
Steve Vai-Not the whitesnake crap....Roth was okay
Brad Paisley

jfrog said:
I think Chris does the strummy stuff mainly...he's got another guitarist who did the chorusy whammy bend line, basically the lead stuff. I'll pull out the CD & check the credits.

you're correct, but the guy that's with him now isn't the same guitarist, but on a certain tele forum he posts regularly, and has talked at length about the recording of wicked game

I love Glenn Tiptons playing with Judas Priest, Gary Moore's early stuff and Joe Satriani's first couple of albums! :)

Neo-classical shred is what I'm into at the moment. For me it has to me highly musical, technicaly brilliant, have emotive classical foundations, speed used as a tool not as a 'given' and it should most of all sound good.

The best guys in the genre are:

Jason Becker (the master of masters... a brilliant musician, very inspiring)
Theodore Ziras (relative newcomer, as clean a player as Angelo but with superior compositions)
Vinnie Moore (highly musical, ridiculously technical, a good variety of style including flamenco, very listenable)
Joe Stump (teaches guitar at Berklee Music College... unbelievable shredder)
Greg Howe (excellent fusion player)
Michael Angelo Batio (only has a few good tracks but his technique is so incredible it has to be heard)
Yngwie Malmsteen (just released a compliation of instrumentals - noted for his importance in creating the genre)

If you've never listened to neo-classical, try Jason Becker first. He kind of kick started the revolution along with Yngwie but he disappeared from the scene due to illness. He kicks Yngwie's ass by the way, far more versatile and creative, a superb musician - every track on "Perpetual Burn" is a classic that showcases true genius. Yngwie is a bit boring for me but there is no mistaking the fact that he is a brilliant player.

Don't bash it untill you've heard it!

Yup - that Vince Gill is a fantastic player. Another country guy (who's tunes I don't really like) that absolutely RIPS is Brad Paisley. That guy has the monster country chicken pickin shred down big time.

My faves:

Hetfield
Hammett
Pete Anderson
Paul Simon (amazing rhythm player)
Wes Montgomery
Keith Gattis
Santana
Arlen Roth (only heard 1 solo - but I loved it)
Clapton
SRV
Hendrix
Steve Cropper
Colin James

espskully said:
Yup - that Vince Gill is a fantastic player. Another country guy (who's tunes I don't really like) that absolutely RIPS is Brad Paisley. That guy has the monster country chicken pickin shred down big time.

yeah even he stated in his DVD, he did the verses just to get to the next solo...i couldn't stand him when he came out, but then i saw it was him doing all that guitar work, even on his albums the first cpl he did bass and all, he just blew me away, i have all but one cd of his...Paisley that is

Favorite guitars players:

Al Di Meola
Carlos Santana pre-1985
Alex Lifeson
George Puleo (Gamalon)
Allan Holdsworth
Steve Tibbetts

Last edited:
My favorite guitarists would be like
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
John Petrucci
Scott Henderson
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
John Mclaughlin
Paco De Lucia
Al di Molia
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Johnson
Gilbert

and so much more...but would take a long time to put down

Anyone and everyone that has come up through Mike Varney's Shrapnel records.

Also, Steve Vai & his buddy Satch. And Andy Summers.

my fav guitarist is Steve Howe of Yes.

He has a very melodic style in many cases, and doesn't play fast just for the heck of it. He has interesting guitar solos that don't sound like the normal kind of guitar solo, like in Siberian Khatru (which also has a great opening and riff by him). I also like a solo acoustic piece he did, "Masquerade", a very nice tune.

Frank Marino (& Mahogany Rush)... hence my nick :rolleyes:

Check out the tune "Stories of a Hero" off of the JUGGERNAUT disc. Killer for the time!!

I'll second the vote for Steve Howe, easily the most influential during my early years. Above all, Steve taught me that good guitarists can play more than one style well, moving from rock to jazz to country to classical. In fact, I've tended to like multi-style guitarists ever since. Two more such mentors that quickly come to mind are Pat Metheny and Steve Morse, both playing so beautifully in a variety of genres. Nice guys, too.

J.

Back