DIY amp/cab mic clamp

Bill L

Massivdonian
So I've been wanting to buy a couple of those Audix Amp Grabber things but was very hesitant to spend $50 on one so I went searching for alternatives. The cheapest is around $33 on ebay and very similar to the Audix. I also saw the Amp Clamp but those require drilling/mounting (or the price ends up the same as the Audix) and since I have vintage amps (and also do live sound for other bands) I really don't want to mess with drilling. Then I stumbled upon a DIY version which is as follows:

1 - Ratchet Bar Clamp $3.73 ea (incl tax) at Harbour Freight
1 - 13" Mic Gooseneck $8.86 ea (incl tax) at Guitar Center
1 - 3/8" x 1 1/4" Bolt
1 - 3/8" Nut
1 - Mic adapter (converts mic thread to 3/8". This is the adapter that comes with most microphones)

Access to a drill and a 3/8" drill bit

Drill a hole and assemble the nut and bolt. Attach the gooseneck and tighten.

Total cost $12.59
Total effort 10 Mins

Here's a couple of pics. Before and after.

Mic Clamp complete.jpgMic Clamp pieces.jpg

I thought I'd share this as it saved me quite a bit money and was very easy to do.

Bill L

Not a bad idea at all.

I've got 2 of the Audix CabGrabbers, and they're cool but flawed. The notches in the foam grippers work perfectly on my Fender amp because the indentations are placed perfectly for that size of bezel. But my other amps have thicker bezels around the grille cloth so the CabGrabber's indentations don't actually grab the edge of the bezel. They still work, but the whole apparatus twists and I have to let it "settle" before truly placing my mic.

I think that your solution is a pretty cool DIY idea. I'd bet that a lighter duty clamp would be a little less clumsy, but yours will most definitely hold its place!

If I stretch my Audix Cab Grabber as far as it will go and bend it a little it will just fit on a Marshall cab. And then the mic positioning is limited. Virtually useless.

If I stretch my Audix Cab Grabber as far as it will go and bend it a little it will just fit on a Marshall cab. And then the mic positioning is limited. Virtually useless.

I bought the 12" style but they have 18" and 24" clamps as well ($3.99 and $4.99 respectively). I'm sure either of those would fit on your cab. For $15 or $16 total cost, it might be worth a shot.

But my other amps have thicker bezels around the grille cloth so the CabGrabber's indentations don't actually grab the edge of the bezel. They still work, but the whole apparatus twists and I have to let it "settle" before truly placing my mic.

I thought about that too so I'm looking at having some small wood pieces shims handy to give the clamp more surface area to grip to. On closed back cabs I would imagine it'll be fine. I guess I'll find out when I start using them.

Bill L

I paired both of mine with 6" goosenecks. It vastly improved my ability to position mics, since all of my amps are 1x12 combos whose speakers are farther away from the bezel than 2x12 or 4x12 combos/cabinets. Check out Amazon for 6" or 9" goosenecks, they're cheap and they may actually make those CabGrabbers useful for you. And as mentioned above, they make "jumbo" versions of the CabGrabber for any cab thicker than 13".

These things are a great idea that was only half-cooked before release. I've actually made friends with both of mine, with the goosenecks and some mildly reduced expectations.

I bought the 12" style but they have 18" and 24" clamps as well ($3.99 and $4.99 respectively). I'm sure either of those would fit on your cab. For $15 or $16 total cost, it might be worth a shot.

I just don't like the flexible gooseneck. Your design is cool and a good DIY project, I just never liked the flexible necks. They droop, sag, loose their tension, and they shimmy and vibrate at the volumes I use. I'm good with mini mic stands.

Looks like a great solution Greg. I have a couple of CabGrabbers here. What I really like is eliminating the stands- pack smaller, plus I think they're less likely to get bumped' off target during the gig.

Looks like a great solution Greg. I have a couple of CabGrabbers here. What I really like is eliminating the stands- pack smaller, plus I think they're less likely to get bumped' off target during the gig.

I totally understand your troubles with goosenecks. But give a try to a tiny one like a 6". Less chance to droop, and it still extends your possibilities for mic position.

For instance, the position I currently have on my Fender is probably going to droop a little by tomorrow morning. But my position on my Marshall (angled downwards) has been in place for a few weeks now without any noticeable droop. Short goosenecks plus positioning that keeps gravity from working against you is the key.

WP_20150130_23_28_09_Pro (Medium).jpg

pack smaller, plus I think they're less likely to get bumped' off target during the gig.

Exactly why I wanted something like this.

I just don't like the flexible gooseneck. Your design is cool and a good DIY project, I just never liked the flexible necks. They droop, sag, loose their tension, and they shimmy and vibrate at the volumes I use. I'm good with mini mic stands.

This is just for live use. I have stands for the studio. I figure if something happens at a gig, we can eventually fix it. Whether or not these will hold to up to consistent live use is another issue altogether.

Bill L

I went through the gooseneck thing with my ISO cabs....could never get 'em to stay in place, so I found a couple short boom arms, problem solved....YMMV...

Back