Convert a left to a right

Even

I have changed my share of nuts and bridges on guitars. Replaced flimsy plastic nuts with bone. But can I convert a guild acoustic lefty into a right if I recut and swap the nut and bridge to become a right? Will it in any way botch up the playability or intonation? sure seems like it is doable. Any takers on this question?

I really doubt it will hurt anything on the guitar as far as playability and intonation. I hope this is a newer (Fender) guild, and not an older one. I doubt they take the time to change everything they should to go to a lefthanded model, so ust by changing the nut and bridge you will probably bring it back to Guild specs for a righthanded guitar. You should have little to no trouble. If it was a Taylor, I would question it.

MIKE

Some real high-end guitars have different bracing on the bass and treble side - I don't think this should be an issue for you with your Guild, as they are usually pretty bullet-proof.

foo

Be carefull. Like Foo said, some flattops and archtops have bracing on the bass side. If you string the guitar for the opposite you could stress the bracing, body and neck.
The same goes for archtop electrics as well.

Back