Cold weather........................

LocusLarsen

Ok, so I need a guitar for camping. I want to buy a cheap used one for like a 100-200. Sigma or Alvarez. I can't help but want to give in to my urge and get a guitar a hundred times better for like 300. Now if I go camping in close to 20 degree F weather, how bad will that fuck up my guitar. I only ask this because I would like to acually play this guitar, something that I cant seem to do with a cheap ass 100 brand new type of thing.

Anyone had any expeirence with cold wheather at any temperature and what were the outcomes. How much can an acoustic take. I have never bothered to find out - I think I will just take everyones word for it.

Most of the temperature problems come from extreme heat and extreme temperature changes. Those are things need to be really watched.

20 degrees is an extremely low temperature to subject any guitar to. Even if you were extremely careful(gradually bringing the guitar down to 20 degrees and gradually returning it to normal temperature) you should expect any or all of the following to occur:

Finish checking
Neck warp
Body Cracking
Bridge Separation

Just a warning. But if you do go ahead and decide to bring the guitar, get back to this thread and let us know the results.

I'll agree with that 100 percent! I once had an Alverez 12 string that I dogged the hell out of. Extreme temperature changes is what finally did it in. Weather like I'm having right now (day after an ugly ice storm) I'd leave it in the car all night and stupid stuff like that. Too bad, it was a pretty decent guitar.

Thats pretty cold. Frankly I'd be impressed if your fingers can change chords at 20 degrees. Odds are that it wont do the guitar any favors and you need to accept that its a fireside/beach/camp guitar and wont last a lifetime. I would suggest tuning it down a half step to reduce neck pressure (and prevent 20 degree strings from snapping). Pretty much the most likely trauma to the guitar would be neck bow in time. That would limit you to the first five frets if it ever got pathetic. Then agin most campfire playing is basic tunes and rarely breaches into finger tapping up and down the neck.

I just assume that would be the lowest temperature it would be expected to face. I don't expect it to last a life time....I just don't want to take my D41. I don't care about this one, I just want something that plays well and can get comepletely destroyed without me sheding a tear. I still want to be able to write and perform songs on it thought. I know that the neck will probably get warped...I just don't know how soon....whether it would be worth getting a slightly better one or if it will just be ruined from the start.

Originally posted by LocusLarsen I just want something that plays well and can get comepletely destroyed without me sheding a tear[/B]

Shit, thowing away $100 to 200 bucks will make me shed a tear. (or two) :D

How about a used student Yamaha? I'm sure you can pick one up for around $50.

I want a guitar that acually plays somewhat well. Not fantastic, but not where I am trying soooo hard that its not even worth it. I don't want to throw away 200 but if it will last for a couple years before the bridge breaks off I will be happy. If it is only a matter of setting up the truss rod and living with some checking on the finish then I will be more than happy to drop 300. I am not worried about scratches and I just don't want my D41 to get damaged. Money is an issue but if it will be fucked after the first trip and gone beyond setting up I don't even wnt to invest in anything. IT WON"T BE 20 DEGREES ALL THE TIME. I JUST SAID THAT AS THE LOWEST I FEEL IT WILL EVER BE IN. IT WILL PROBABLY BE MORE LIKE 40 OR 50 AT THE LOWEST.

As for playing....EVERY HEAR OF A FIRE? A big one can keep anyones hands warm.

Oh see now you just doomed yourself. Pulling any guitar out of the deep freeze and then plopping in front of even a mild conflagration will be the best way, hands down, to put stress on the guitar.

Back