Boss GT5 v Pod

Krystof01

I would like people's opinions on the GT5 and the Pod. I am looking at getting a GT5 but I have been told the Pod is better by some. Also is there a new rackmounted version comming out whith footswitch? I am wanting to use which ever one I buy for live playing and recording.

I am not sure on this one, but I think that the Boss GT3 is better than the GT5. I know the GT3 is the newer one and has more options, like pickup emulators, speaker modeling etc..

The POD is better for recording, no question. I have used the GT3 vs the POD straight up. Better sounds, easier...etc.

For live, toss up, either pay for the floorboard with the pod, or just use the GT3 but the emulations are not as good..

Rackmount pod, yes, POD PRO. Costs 600$ US.
Lot of money for added XLR and rackshape.
MIKE

Horses for courses

The GT5 sounds better through a guitar amp. I don't like my POD through the amp.

The POD is better for direct recording. I don't like my GT3 for direct recording.

I don't use either very often and prefer individual pedals for the guitar amp and mic'ing the amp for recording.

As far as the GT3 vs the GT5 they are similar but quite different. The GT5 is a more professional tool and has many connection options and more MIDI functions than the GT3. The GT3 is more suited to players that don't need the above options. The main drawback for me was the lack of a MIDI clock adjustment for changing the time based effects with another MIDI device.

Both The GT3 and the GT5 are great for quickly changing your sound for playing covers etc. I prefer to stick with "my" sound and don't often need to change it that quickly or radically.

Spong

I had a GT5.
It's a great tool for guitar FX, the possiblities of the number of weird sounds that you may create are huge.
But I sold it and got the POD. Why ?
Because POD isgreat for amp simulation (but
lacks some features that the GT5 like harmonizer
Also the GT5 had much more parameters that you could change, the flangers and the phasers were better than the POD.
Your choice will depend mainly on what kind of music you want to make.

I sold the GT5 to a friend who does trip hop and doesn't care for distortion, and the GT5 is the right tool for him and he loves it.

I myself I'm happy with my POD.

Back