amp recommendations for home recording

I have a Fender Blues Jr. and it sounds great when recording, but make you swap the stock speaker for a V30, G12H30 or what ever your tastes are and swap the tubes. I chose a combination of 12ax7EHs and Sovtek 12ax7WBs for the pres and EL84EHs for the power. This amp also sounds great hooked up to my Bogner 4x12 cab.

Richard Monroe said:
Actually, I use the VAMP-2 and a Pod Pro. I prefer the Vamp for clean sounds and the POD for distortion, but- I had all the problems you describe until I took these puppies, plugged them into a good power amp, and then into a Marshall 1X12 cab and mic'd it up. I don't think the real problem is the amp modeler, but that nothing really simulates the sound of a speaker moving air into a real mic. Another trick is to take the line out from the modeler and run it into a powered reference monitor, or a power amp and then into a passive monitor, and mic the monitor. Don't close mic the monitor as if it was a cab. Back the mic off 3-4' or so, where you would listen to it mixing. It'll sound like hell in the room, because you and the mic can't both be in the neaar field. It'll sound fine on the recording. Use a condenser, rather than the cheap dynamic that sounds so good on a cranked up cab. I don't have anything against amps, but if you give your modeler real sound in real space, I think you'll find it's better than you thought.-Richie

Hey this is a winner. tried it all weekend and came up with some pretty good recordngs. Tried the V-amp through a pair of Behringer truths and miked with a single/pair of marshall MXLs , also tried a Rode Nt1 and a good old sm57 as a single and pair. best results , for my taste came from using the sm57s. the other mics are a bit too bright. The condenser idea might work with darker sounding mics or something. Although all sounded way better than just plugging the the V-amp striaght into the sound card (C-port).
Can come up with some really wild stereo effects stuff too as i had 2 lines from the the V-amp (one to each speaker) and then miked both speakers.
Cool suggestion man.
cheers

Recommending an amp for line out recording

The best amp available for line out recording is the Blue Tone PRO 30M. Have a look at www.bluetoneamps.com It has a genuine speaker emulating line out. I've used it miked up to and it's sensational. You wouldn't go near a pod or a sans amp after you've heard this thing!

Good rock/blues/clean tone? I'd have to agree with the Cyber Champ. ALso, that Vox modeler has some really nice classic rock tones when you tweak it correctly.

You can really never go wrong with a Line 6 Vetta for recording.

If you have a lot of money, check out Fuchs amps. www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/

I've played one, which was excellent for just what you are looking for. The Super Overdrive would probably be the amp you want. I have also known people who have used them, and are just thrilled with their blues, jazz, and classic rock tones.

Small Amp

Vibro Champ...black or silverface...awesome "studio" amp...and think "Pink Floyd" vibrato (trem actually)...nice and deep...nothing else like it!

BW

bwindsor said:
Vibro Champ...black or silverface...awesome "studio" amp...and think "Pink Floyd" vibrato (trem actually)...nice and deep...nothing else like it!

BW

You know that this is an 18 month stale thread, don't you? ;^)

Yeah, I was looking up something else (reference) and came across this, thought what the hell, better late than never :)

BW

+1 to the V-AMP Pro or POD mic'ed through a power amp or keyboard amp, IF you have access to these for free or cheap. If you have to buy one, then you are in the realm of a small entry level tube amp. Obviously the real deal is always better if you are able to go that way.

Allright, who is responsible for digging this thing up?
Here I was - tricked into posting on a fossilized thread!
:eek:

Hey I've used a Peavey classic 20 for years and it always sounds great on recordings. Its 15 watts with 2 preamp & 2 power tubes without reverb, but this thing goes from clean Strat sounds to a nicely distorted lead sound with tweeks of the Preamp and Master gains. Most people have remarked they thought it was recorded direct, but it was miked with a SM57. It definitely sound BIG! It uses 12ax7 & el84 tubes I think but the amp is no longer manufactured, might find them on Ebay though.

Back