American Tele or the MIM Nashville Power one?

audreysdad

Have played the American (of course) and it rocks, but have been considering the Nashville Power Tele also. This is my next guitar purchase and looking for those IMHO's.
Thanks.

I have a MIA Nashville B-Bender.

I was really taken aback by the looks of the Nashville and avoided them for years due to their ugliness, but the B-Bender got my curiosity up and when I saw mine on clearance sale for 2/3 off, I bagged it just to see what it was like.

Discussion of the B-Bender is beyond the scope of your question, but I have to say that the Nashville concept (while unsightly, with three different pickups hanging out there) is a remarkably effective way of expanding the useful range of the basic Telecaster. You can do not only all the usual Telecaster sounds, but you can fake the Stratocaster 2 & 4 position sounds amazingly well. The whole point of this original aftermarket custom mod was to get a single road guitar that would cover all the Fender sounds. It worked so well that Fender added a version to their "Hot Rodded" line as a stock instrument.

I understand that the Power Tele expands this range even further.

Both of the guitars you're considering are really nice guitars, but this one is a GREAT guitar and costs less money...
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinsdxtp.htm

Maybe you haven't heard of Godin, but they're top-notch guitars from Canada that are made from the best woods and are hand-crafted and finely detailed... unlike the machine-made Fender guitars.

Read the unbiased reviews of the SDXT... here...
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Godin/SDxt-01.html

Now read the reviews on the Power Tele...
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/Nashville-Power-Telecaster-01.html

Did you notice that the ratings are somewhat lower for the Tele?
Especially in the "Action, Fit & Finish" category.

I have a Godin Acousticater and let me tell you, Godin makes GORGEOUS high-quality, awesome-sounding guitars.
They're incredibly well-built, too.
Mine was hanging on the wall and dropped to the ground from 4 feet high..... not a scratch on it and it still plays perfect!

In the past decade, Fenders have been made in the U.S., Indonesia, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and God knows where else.
Quality control can be a major problem when your stuff is made all over the place.

If you want a "real" American-made Fender guitar, check out G & L guitars. You're guaranteed to get a top quality guitar from ANY model G & L. The ASAT is their version of the Telecaster... it's really sweet! I have a G & L F100 that I bought "new" 22 years ago, and it's still in pristine shape after all those years of playing!

Anyway, I just wanted to throw a couple of options at you, based on my personal experiences.

I take it you reccomend your B-bender?

I recommend the Nashville concept.

AFAIK, the "Hot Rodded" Nashville B-Bender Telecaster has been discontinued by Fender, perhaps because of its expense, specialized market and its enormous weight (mine's nearly fifteen pounds).

I'm not sure if there are any MIA Nashville Telecasters of any description still made.

The MIA and MIM Nashvilles had different pickup selection, but if you get a MIM you can rewire the #3 position whichever way you like it.

Back