Advise to buy a guitar amp!!!

jmgrosso

Hi everybody!!!. I need your help. I'm planning to buy a guitar amp soon, but the problem is that I'll be not able to prove it directly, because there are not godd music stores and brands where I live, so I'll ask a friend in USA to buy the amp and bring it to me when he comes on july 5.

Well, I have almost $550 or maybe 600 but I really need your advise to do the best invest with that amount.
I'm not a professional guitar player, but I want a good amp. I like clean sounds, effects as delay and reverb, and of course a good distortion but with great presence. I've play some fender amps and the Line 6 spider combo.

What ever, surfing on internet I've seen some interesting amps, such:
Fender Stage 100 dsp
Fender Stage 160 dsp
Fender Deluxe 90 dsp
Peavey TransTube 112 EFX combo
Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half-Stack Package
Line 6 Spider II 212 Combo
Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Package (it's out of my amount but maybe if I lend some money)

In this way, I need your advise, I want to read your opinions and comments if you know other model that could be better. I have in mind to buy the fender stage 160, but a want to make the best decision.

Thanks everyone,
Let me hear from you
sincerely
Juan Grosso

Because of the fact that you are not able to try it yourself, and based on those you exposed, I'kk go for the Fender Stage... but that's just my opinion... let's see what the nobs have to say about this... Best wishes... ;)

I have a peavey transtube amp....I LOVE it!
I also have a fender hot rod deville that I love.

If you tweak it right, the peavey transtube has a killer distortion. I like the distortion on the transtube better than the distortion on the deville. Clean is a different story....the deville is better for a nice clean tone.

I will give you my advisation.

I advise you to get a Fender Deville or some sort of Peavey (classic 30? classic 50?)

Don't get a solid state amp!! (tubes just sound better...period.)

The transtube is great! If that's the sound you are shooting for! I'm not sure about the fenders but imo the spiderII has a raw digital tone to it that is not pleasant compared to other amps in the price range.
Crate makes an excellent ss amp imo too!
Good luck!

jm
I've been playing a long time. My amp is a 1968 Fender Princeton Reverb (one channel 12 watt tube amp with reverb and tremelo, no overdrive) and it is golden to my ears. I use different guitars and my pedal board to get any sound I want out of it. When I play live it is miced with a Shure SM 57. My good friend plays a Marshall plexi and it is awesome when he plays it, but I don't know what to do with it. It is really a matter of style and taste. The tube amps mentioned above are great amps, but limited compared to the digital modeling amps. There are so many choices these days. I have tried the digital amp simulators and they come close but not quite right for me. However, since you are not playing professionally right now, and you are developing your style, a digital modeling amp probably would be a good choice. The Line 6 or Fender models would be good choices, as well as many others that might be in your budget. The digital amps and amp simulators are a lot of fun. I would start there and buy the real thing when you know better what you are looking for. My two cents.

fretmeister said:
jm
The digital amps and amp simulators are a lot of fun. I would start there and buy the real thing when you know better what you are looking for. My two cents.
Oh yeah! Line 6's effects are great! I use both the DL4 delay modeler and the DM4 distortion modeler for stomp boxes. And the Mod Pro in the rack.

I (had) a peavey Supreme Head which is the Transtube....They rock for metal, and are a great price....don't have it anymore....it was a backup to my 5150. No effects, but good tone for solid state! :D

Lay off the Stage.....It has a nice clean sound but no feeling, The trans, a super reverb ($) or that peavey classic 50 is very nice, almost a super

Back