adv needed: changing setup, from rack to combo

tuna

I have a rack based setup, marshall jmp-1, 8008 power amp, peavey 412 cabinet ( 4 x 12 spkrs) and I am playing a range of music from prong to helet ( website: www.newbreed.com.br for mp3s and samples ).
Lately, I've been thinking aout downsizing this gear, due to diverse reasons, from transportation to pity from dont using it so regularly as i deserves.
I've been thinking about a small combo which could help me in recordings ( I've been using v-amp 2 too ) and rehearsals. I've been said that Mesa Boogies are the way to go, given that a 30watts model could overpower the drums.
Is it true ?
I dont use more than a wah wah and the amp distortion, so I would like advice in which combo model would be a nice change. Of course I know I will lose in volume, but I dont care that much, since I use my power amp in level 4 or 5 at max. The only constraint is a amp with good low frequencies and gain, and enough power to rehearsal.
Thanks in advance.

so you don't want a digital modeling amp?? fair enough. I was gonna suggest the line 6 spider as a cheap way to go. Right now i own a flextone and i hate the sounds out of it. A buddy of mine, however, owns a line 6 spider and gets great tones out of it. I guess it's just how you tweak it and stuff. I am getting rid of my flextone as soon as i can for something else as well. the other member in my band has a fender cybertwin, they are great amps if you can afford them. very versatile. May be too many bellz an wistles for what you want though.

One amp that i would suggest if you could ever find it is this 1x12 amp made by midiman. The bass player in my old band, his dad used to gig with one and gave it to us. It is the most amazing amp i've ever heard live. it is all tube driven and has built in reverb, a great amp.

I have a Mesa/Boogie DC-3, which is a 1x12 combo. I love it and it's freaking loud. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore. I don't know enough about their current product line to suggest a similar model. I really haven't paid attention to other amps since I got this one in the late 90s.

I can get sparkling clean tones, but I usually let the "clean" channel get a little dirty. On the "lead" channel, I can get anything from sweet blues overdrive to some pretty serious crunch. I have never really tried to get heavy metal sounds from it, so I don't know if it will go there on its own. I'm sure you could get there with a pedal.

All this is from my Telecaster, which is some weird model with a strat pickup in the middle between the two normal Tele pups.

Back