why pc-based over workstation?

houdini

I'm trying to figure out if, and why, investing in a good sound card (which runs anywhere from $400-700 and up)and using my PC , perhaps in conjunction with my old tascam 4-track cassette, as a multi-track system is better than spending a very small amount more (perhaps $200) and getting a digital workstation like a Korg D-8 or Fostex? My PC is a Pentium II, 266 mhz, 32 RAM, 3.2 gig HD, with a crappy soundblaster card. I have Powertracks Pro Audio, and am simply a guitar player looking for a way to record only 2 tracks at a time (maybe 4, but not likely) for a total of no more than probably 8 tracks. Would like digital quality however. Any opinions??? (How's that for opening up a Pandora's box?)

The first thing I would recommend doing to help with your decision is to find out what your computer is capable of doing.

Event Electronics has an application called the "echo reporter" which runs on your system and gives you a general idea what your computer is capable of. It will tell you how many tracks you can record and playback simultaneously by testing your system.

It is designed for the Layla card, but it's a good start.

Check it out at: http://www.sweetwater.com/products/event/layla.html

I started out with a Fostex DMT-8, and now do it with my PC because my PC is capable of a lot more than the Fostex.

Good luck.

With your computer, you should drop $400 on a 24 bit darla, (though the echo reporter utility is horridly inaccurate in many cases), and you will be able to do 2 tracks into cool edit pro, with 10 tracks capable, and if your goals are as modest as you claim, you would be set forever.

Back