why dont studio monitors ever have speaker covers/grills?

wes480

I find this kind of weird...

it seems like every pair of studio monitors just shows the drivers....and never had a covering over them....

I know an acousticly transparent grill doesn't hurt the sound quality....why are they always exposed?

or...does it hurt the quality in some way, for monitoring?

yeah...but, dont most people think covers are more fahsionable? i would at least think some manuf would put them on there...could always take them off yourself

I am always paranoid that my EV's are gonna get poked.

I find my self wishing they had a bit more protection than they do.

Carl

I don't agree that the omission of speaker grills are for the sake of retaining fashion...

The regular (pantyhouse) material isn't totally transparent... I have a set of Polk Audio reference monitors, and I used to use them before I got my NS-10's....

When mixing or listening at low levels, there IS a noticable difference between having the grill on an off..

The bass isn't changed much, but I do notice that at low levels the tweeter is somewhat hindered with the grill on.......

Joe

Krakit said:
I am always paranoid that my EV's are gonna get poked.

I find my self wishing they had a bit more protection than they do.

That is what Eddie N's girlfriend always says. ;)

Yeah, if you put anything in front of a speaker you're going to change the sound. I don't care how "transparent" they say a material is. Listen hard.

Blue Bear Sound said:
er... guys... I was trying to be funny when I said "fashion"...

No you weren't... you were talking about wearing the grills as earings.... I know your secret life Bruce! :D

>fashion....
>
>Bruce

Well you may have meant it in jest but it rings true.

What are "they" (some people with a studio)
trying to say about their studio design? They wanna show that at a minimum they have the ability to capture a sound without adding too much distortion or noise.
Purism in cables/pres/monitors etc.
So it just goes against the grain aesthetically to put anything in front of them, whether this is empirically found to be true (enough) or not.

they should have metal grills to put in front of the drivers when the monitors arent in use... that way, when you use them, you remove the grills... so you can be happy that your monitors are safe when you are not using them. i just thought of a new project...

I would imagine that it won't keep the "centers from bieng poked in" but I just have a cloth that I drape each one when not in use if for nothing else then for dust protection.

D out ITNOJ

My Tannoy's have grills!

I have a pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's. The have removable grilles. Do I win something???

-Bob

From the home audio perspective, the grills are really there to discourage kids from poking stuff into the driver. the cloth does subtly change the top end, and most people that are mad into sound will remove them. its a good idea to put the grill on when your not using them though, to stop dust accumulating. as for the center cap getting damaged, thats just a dust cover to protect the coil, and *shouldn't* affect the sound (but it will slightly) so if it is damaged, you can remove it and replace with a new one, electronic stores generally sell new kits to do this.

It's not only the kids that are poking. My Tannoy DMT12 are of the dual concentric type. Whenever the cover is removed people go like......'hey where's the tweeter?'....(reply) that's actually inside the woofer......'wow this golden thingie...pook pook pook pook.'

Same with them standing on large orginal stands. Problem is there not attached to this stand, they just rely on the weight and gravity.
So whenever people are coming near the monitors I warn them...don't lean against them, they might fall...now I wonder why allmost everybody reacts with trying to push them a little to see if I'm telling the truth...Must be human nature.

Back