Thread: Tascam M30 Phono In

Thanks

Tascam M30 Phono In

Sign in to disable this ad
    Dear reader,

Over the years I collected some vintage equipment to make a kind of listeningroom for my reggae vinyl collection and perhaps later on some "live"dub mixing.
    I have a restored Garrard 4 HF record-player, a Yamaha p2100 amp, a Tascam M30 mixer and 2 IMF TLS loudspeakers.
    I followed the manual of the Tascam and connected the record player to phono-in, then the phono-out to the submix-in and the submix-out to the amplifier.

The result is indeed music through my loudspeakers. But neither the submix section nor the EQ-section responds on turning the knobs. Only the Sub-mix master knob works for changing the volume.
    So i am not able to change bass/treble or fading etc.
    Have i missed something or is there another way to connect the record-player?
    I hope for some suggestions
    i'm from the Netherlands so I apologize in advance for my not so perfect English.

Kind regards Patrick

Thanks
    You might get some more inputs from the Analog section...theres a lot of Tascam TEAC gear heads there.

You might have luck getting some phono to- 1/4" jack connectors and using regular mixer channels instead of phono in and out, if you want the EQ and more control. I don't really get the sub-mix, but it seems the phono out might be a direct out from the phono in so nothing is effected from the phono out.??

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-H.Gerst

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    You might have luck getting some phono to- 1/4" jack connectors and using regular mixer channels instead of phono in and out, if you want the EQ and more control.
    This^^

You want to use the phono in because anything labeled 'phono in' has the necessary industry-standard EQ correction circuitry (bass boost per a standardized curve).

On Tascam gear, they very often have inputs, tape and phono, that dump directly to a bus (in your case, a sub) with no controls, not even volume. You'll notice you have no "phono" controls on the front.

They also assumed the vinyl product is done exactly right and doesn't need any of your EQ opinion :-) I've never seen a phono input with any control to speak of.

Get the adapters like CoolCat said and route them elsewhere if you got the spare inputs. Doing this, you'll be able to apply EQ, but you'll be required to apply EQ because the proper phono circuitry is no longer part of the chain.

This doesn't exist for the tape in and outs.

Years ago, I had a big Tascam mixer. To this day, i miss it. Not for the performance or the features, but for the look. Just fell in love with the look. I'd probably spend irresponsible money to get one back if one appeared nearby.

Thanks
    Hi,

This is a duplicate of my reply to your other thread in the analog section

You have to connect the output from the phono sections to the line inputs on the main channel strips, So to use one stereo record player you have to use two channels, (for example, channel 1 for left & channel 2 for right). That way you can use the EQ controls, the phono amps just have RIAA EQ. If connected to the submix-in you don't get any level or EQ control.

If you don't have the full manual for the M-30, you can download a copy from my website here; File Store

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    On Tascam gear, they very often have inputs, tape and phono, that dump directly to a bus (in your case, a sub) with no controls, not even volume. You'll notice you have no "phono" controls on the front.
    To use the phono amps, (there are two stereo pairs) on the M-30, the outputs have to be patched to the channel strip line-ins as they are isolated from the busses.

Thread Information