Studio monitors, Where to start on 500-1500 budget ?

MaximeLajoie

Hey, I really need some reference monitors to do some mixing and mastering in my room.The room has been partially treated with 10 2x2x4'' ats acoustic panels, but it's a small room.

I went to several music stores to try some... but it's really hard to tell what is the best choice for the price. I don't want to buy a pair and have to sell it in two years when everything starts to get more serious.

I was interested in the Yamaha's hs50 for their good reviews and the small size ( and price ) ..but I've also been told issues with the low-end. Hs80 are simply too big for my desk/room for the moment. I also looked for more expensive models like the neumann kh 120 which is really interesting, but pricy and also kinda big.

As for now, I'm in a recording school. I live in a small appartment and have a motu express for interface/external sound card. I mix with audio technica ath-m50, and I find it good for rough mix but not when it comes to more '' advanced '' stuff.

Suggestions on models for what I describe would be pretty much appreciated.
I'm looking for something small, durable and accurate between 500-1500. Thanks alot!

Some models I also cheked: Tannoy REVEAL 501A, Yamaha mp5, JBL LSR2325P... I havent heard them, just heard of...
If you have any experience with those or have any other models that you think could be appropriate please share

Yes they do, they seem really nice with the room modes correction feature. hmm

edit : Wait I just got your '' eh '' ... So not the best choice ...meh

I guess I'll just have to make a huge list of all that seems interesting and go to alot of music stores to try them...

Last edited:
The only way to correct room modes is to fix the room. To try to "fix" it usually means to obliterate and omit it from the output.

If a room - in *this* particular cubic foot of space has a 10dB peak at 140Hz, the only way the speaker can correct this is to lower 140Hz. Works great for that point in space - but might not be so hot for another point in space (perhaps your right ear).

And what could they possibly do about the 35dB null at 110Hz just a foot away? BOOST 110Hz by 35dB? Only in that particular point in space?

*) Not possible - Again, the only way is to correct the room (Back to Rule 2 of audio).

*) Imagine how fast the drivers would liberate themselves -- Probably on fire, shooting across the room at high speed, possibly striking you in the face, landing in your lap, ruining your chances with the opposite sex, etc., etc.

Long story short, most speakers that have some sort of "room correction" mumbo jumbo simply make themselves LESS ACCURATE to make up for the bad room. So the things that would be troublesome just aren't there anymore (neither are the things in those frequency areas that you might need to hear - Like the bass - Or the drums - Or some notes in the lower male baritone range).

Fix the room. ANY speaker is only ever as accurate and consistent as the room it's in.

I was going to refer to the YSM1P but I see they dont make them anymore. I did a side by side to DynAudio and using the settings on the Yorkville, it was really similar to a point. Looking at their website they dropped them down to some offball design with only 68watts or something?

new model 50w and 15w

the original was 30 HF watts and 85watts.

DYNAUDIO BM5a are actually 6" drivers too (never understood the nomenclature of "5a"?)

Back