Studio - Headphones- In the Ear V's Traditional Cup?

50 cool 50

First of all can I just say, great Forum very useful :cool:

Not gonna ramble on about what equipment i pollish in my studio with the Mr. Sheen each day, ( sighs a yawn )
I wondered has anybody tried any high end quality "in the ear buds" as a method of tracking in the recording enviroment? Do they do the job? as a nice alternative to the cans?

I see there are alot of companies pushing these products now as "Pro Headphones" ect. Sure / Bose ect

If so, what kind of dough would you have to spend to get accurate monitoring

Cheers people!!!

I like to use in-ears when I'm tracking acoustic guitar with a click track. Absolutely no bleed of the click into the mic. I still use cans for vocals. I haven't quite become good at vocals with in-ears, yet. I have to learn intonation in a different way.

never tried it but i'm afraid it would have real bleed through problems... maybe not???

No I dont think so, I think you would only be drivin a couple little magnets onstead of fully blown earpieces inside the cans .If anythng I think they would be better in that respect
I think they would be cool as you would have more freedom to get into the music while your tracking onstead of worrying about cans slipping of the head

What say ye??

QUOTE=Nick98338;2905812]I like to use in-ears when I'm tracking acoustic guitar with a click track. Absolutely no bleed of the click into the mic. I still use cans for vocals. I haven't quite become good at vocals with in-ears, yet. I have to learn intonation in a different way.[/QUOTE]

Hey Nick, What in the ears have you got?

? what do you mean "learn intonation in a different way"?:confused:[
Surely the intonation of music is the same no matter what you monitor through?

I understand that cheap headphones colour the sound, but these companies are pretty good at designing studio audio products and I'm wondering how much I ould have to spend to get flat response trackable in the ear headphones? - for vocals ect.

Interesting thread.

I'm nearly finished on my home vocal set-up, and researching foldback gear. Currently swinging towards 3 pairs of ATH-M30 headphones and a little Samson 4-way headphone box (S-amp I think it's called?).

I think if you've got different people coming into your studio, they're not really going to want to stick something in their ear that's been in someone else's... :)

But on your own, probably ok. I've done it for years on my own with my little Sony in-ears.

thats true...

Point ad all....Never thought of the hygenic issues with the buds

Might get some for percy use though:p

Good point

I reckon you cold wipe the buds down with alcahol and sterile wipes after every session if you were using them for commercial uses maybe??

Hey Nick, What in the ears have you got?

? what do you mean "learn intonation in a different way"?:confused:[
Surely the intonation of music is the same no matter what you monitor through?

I understand that cheap headphones colour the sound, but these companies are pretty good at designing studio audio products and I'm wondering how much I ould have to spend to get flat response trackable in the ear headphones? - for vocals ect.

I'm using the Shure SCL2 for tracking and live stage work.

Intonation.. by that I mean matching my voice to the music, as I listen to what I've recorded and add a vocal track. I hear my voice much differently with the in-ears than with the cans. I usually need to put more of my voice back into the mix, into the in-ears, as I sing. With the headphones, I just listen to the music and keep my voice out of the mix into the headphones.

Back