Studio is built,what about the recorder?

dirtybob

Ok I've built the room. 12" walls lined w/sheetblok, drywall hung on "Z" channel,floating floor and a small fortune in auralex, 4'x8' double paned window (I know it was'nt necessary,but it just looks cool!!). Now its time for a recording platform, and I'm hoping you guys that have been doing this a while can help me out. ProTools LE was my original choice, but the system and a new computer to run it will run about 4k!! If that is what it takes,then so be it, but I'd like to explore all my options first. I not even sure that I need ProTools-maybe I'm just caught up in all the hype. I know a lot of you are making great recordings with other systems.
What about high-end standalones? I really like the AKAI dps24 mkII. On paper,its a pretty impressive machine-I know its discontinued,but I've located a couple of "factory reconditioned" machines-I've also looked at the Yamaha AW2400 and the Rolands. Sorry to ramble on & on,so let me bottom line it-
I want a stable, reliable recording platform. I don't do well at all with error messages. I want a control surface (Mackie MCU et al). The sheer number of software programs and plug-ins is mind boggling (Cubase-logic-fruity loops?) And I hoping you all can make some recommendations. I'm lucky in a way, because I'm starting from scratch-I just want to set it up right the first time.

What other equipment do you already have?
What kind of music do you want to record?
How much do you want to take advantage of MIDI or Softsynths?
Do you WANT to be able to do a lot of intricate audio editing?
Do you use loops?
Do you have a good front end such as mic pres or a good mixer and all you need is a medium to record to?
Do you plan on using external processing gear only?
DO you plan on using lots of plug ins?

You need to explain a WHOLE lot more before anyone can make a close suggestion.
If I was just looking for a Digital recording medium and wanted to do it right, I'd suggest a good used RADAR 24 bit unit.

Oooops-sorry, my green is showing!!
I've spent the last 30+ years gigging, and even though I have accumulated truckloads of gear, its all geared toward live performing, so for all intents and purposes, I have nothing. When I started to build this studio, my intention was to purchase a high end MTR-an Akai,Roland,Yamama, to simplify things. The idea of a "Studio-in-a-box" was (and still is to some degree)very appealing to me. But as I have been finding out, the MTR's are very limited in a lot of respects. So I am in the process of researching the computer based alternatives. If I do decide to go that route, then the first order of buisness will be a computer with enough HP to handle whatever I throw at it,with room to spare. That having been decided, I started to look at the various software that is available. ProTools LE? Sonar? Cubase? Just the sheer number of choices is confusing and more than a little frustrating. Talking to salespeople does'nt help;they all seem to want to push their "flavor-of-the-month" on you. (I'm guessing they all work on commission!)
What I can tell you is this-This will be built around a mixer/control surface-The Mackie mcu pro or something similar. Yes, I would like to take full advantage of MIDI/softsynths and I will want to use loops. Editing? Yes. And as far as the plug-ins go, I would like to know that using a lot of them won't present any significant problems. What is appealing to me as far as the computer based platform goes is the expandability aspect. I want to get myself set up with a solid computer, a control surface, the necessary software, a high end recorder (the Radar 24 seems to be a popular choice among you guys in the know), and whatever else I need to get the ball rolling. I will add to the system as time,money and wife allows-so I just want to be sure that the pieces I buy now won't dead-end me in year or two.
As far as the types of music that I will want to record-well that is a difficult question. My personal tastes are pretty eclectic-earlier this AM I was listening to Burt Bacharach, and as I write this I've got Lamb of God playing. I've spent most of the last 30 years playing Rock and blues for $$, but the things I've written over the years and want to record are(at times) a world away-I think maybe my mom had a fling with Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart!! So again, sorry for the vague post-I really appreciate and respect all of your opinions,and the last thing I want to do is waste anyones time. I hope this helps.

This may seem slightly unrelated, but in order to ease readers' eyes, it'd be a good idea to add some whitespace to your posts! It makes it much easier to read through lengthy (and informative!) posts when sentences are double-spaced, and ideas are separated by short paragraphs.

Just a suggestion to help you get your answers more quickly! :)

Back on-topic, if you'd like to exchange projects with other studios, it'd be a good idea to look into getting Pro Tools. If not, it's totally, completely, 100% not worth it. Get something that supports free (and often great!) VST plugins. I've heard good things about Cakewalk's "Sonar", Apple's "Logic", and a bunch of other ones.

As for the "studio-in-a-box" solutions, they can turn out some great stuff, but if you're willing to spend the up-front cash, you can get an amazing computer-based system that will always be infinitely more upgradeable than any all-in-one solution. Need more space? Get another hard drive! Need more speed? Upgrade your processor! Or memory! It's fun :)

Anyway, hope this helps! I'd go for Sonar btw. I love that program, and miss it often when using Pro Tools (which I switched to in order to transfer projects between studios. In this aspect, it is AMAZING, but in a few very important ways (like compatibility with anybody else's software/hardware) it's absolutely terrible.

ooops-sorry again. so noted and will add more whitespace. I am new to HR.com (2 days) so bear with me while I learn

Thanks-I am finding out rather quickly that ProTools LE is maybe overhyped, depending on ones intended usage. From what I've looked at, Sonar 7 looks pretty good to me, but I'm still trying to nav through the jungle of software out there. Thanks for weighing in-

Back