Send and Return

Mason Jarre

This is a very basic question.

I'm using a mixer that connects by USB to my computer, where I record. I want to be able to send a recorded track out, through a processor (Antares AVP-1), and then into another track on the recording software.

My best guess on connections would be mixer SEND effect jack to Antares input and Antares output to mixer RETURN jack.

What I'm trying to accomplish is post-production pitch adjustments, etc., on vocals in lieu of real time adjustments during the intitial recording.

I just can't get my mind around the send/return concept for some reason. It's something I've never worked with.

The mixer's pretty straightforward...a Yamaha MW10C. The manual's not very detailed.

Thanks.

You can use the insert jack on the mixer channel, you just take an insert cable and plug the TRS end into the insert jack and the other ends into the antares.

Of course, first you have to route the vocal track out of the computer to the mixer...

Another way of doing it is to use the aux send, like you said, but plug the output of the processor into a channel and record only that channel.

Another way of doing it is to use the aux send, like you said, but plug the output of the processor into a channel and record only that channel.

Thanks for your response.

I assume that connecting the output of the processor to the return on the mixer and recording only on the one track where I want the processed sound to end up will give me the result I want.

That's how I've patched it, and I'm experimenting with levels and gain on the mixer to find the ideal balance. I'm recording fine but not yet hearing any effects from the processor. As long as I'm sure I've wired it correctly, I'll get there.

It will depend on where the aux return is routed. Most of the time, it's only routed to the main output buss. It will normally be easier to route if you return in into a channel instead of the returns.

That is the way most big studios and live sound guys route the effects returns. If gives you more routing, panning, eqing, etc... flexibility.

Back