resolution question

BoogieBoy

I run an FW-1884 Firewire board into a PC for my rig. I can get it to run at 24 bits and either 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling rate. Allegedly it can handle 88.2 or 96 kHz rates, but I can't get it to run smoothly without a lot of freezing and/or dropouts. So I guess my question is this: given that I need to downgrade to 16 bit word length for printing Red Book CDs, does it make any sense to record at 48 rather than 44.1? It is my understanding that 48 will allow slightly higher frequency recording (24kHz tops rather than 22.05 kHz).
These are both well above hearing range, but I understand that the higher the frequency response the better; that even if inaudible, a higher frequency response could possibly add some top-end crispness. Again, though, I'm always having to bump it down to 44.1 for CD protocol.
It is also my understanding that using the longer (24 bit) word length should be used for all tracking, editing, and effects - right up until the end. Questions or comments?
Thanks
Rudi

there are serious arguments about higher sample rates... the worlds greatest gurus on this suggest the perfect rate maybe around 60k... as to the difference between 44-48... for all practicle purposes there aint none!! IMO and others as well the only reason to go to 48 would be IF you intend to work to picture and/or expect to release in the DVD format...

The best compromise seems to be 24bits @ 48khz. It usually won't choke your computer and it gives you good quality.

The reason higher sampling rates are preferred is because the computer can process the tracks with fewer rounding artifacts. In other words, the more decimal places a number has the more accurately it can be multiplied.

The reason higher sampling rates are preferred is because the computer can process the tracks with fewer rounding artifacts. In other words, the more decimal places a number has the more accurately it can be multiplied.

ehr..isn't that the bit depth issue...

Back