Power conditioner/strip question

liv_rong

Knows very little
I am looking for something that is rackmount and has switchable power for each outlet. I have seen them in studio pictures on this site before. My question is I cant find anything that is a power conditioner as well, they all seem to just be a power strip with switches on the front. I know that the cheap 'power conditioners" dont really do jack anyways also. But would it be ok to get a switchable power strip and plug that into one of my power conditioners? If it matters I will be using it to switch on monitors and outboard pre's. If you can suggest anything or answer the above question it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much,

Joe

There's another thread going on right now about this very subject:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=258119

Read this thread, there's some information you might find useful.

I use several power strips made by MBT, which have inidividual switches for each outlet. There's definitely times you want that, like if you gear doesn't have a power switch on it (many don't).

http://www.wwbw.com/MBT-Power-Center-i20991.music

I also use the Furman AR-15 II that michaelst is recommending.

And it is okay to chain power strips, at least I do it and haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the replies!

I think i am going to go the route of the MBT units, I only need it for three things at the moment, so Ill just plug that unit into my cheapo Samson 'power conditioner" haha(I know its not really a power conditioner in its true sense).

I'm using a SS-6B PRO SURGE SUPPRESSOR is that like a power conditioner? It's made by Furmen and its been fine. Is there a difference?

Thanks

It is what it says it is, a surge suppressor. It gives your gear protection from power surges, and probably has some filtering in there as well. But it doesn't condition the power.

Thanks for the answer Sonic.

So what does, " condition the power mean" exactly? Or what does a power conditioner do? : )

Thank you.

D

Back