Monitors in small room

VirtualSamana

I have a small room (10’ x 9’ ) where I do my tracking and mixing. I am looking to buy some monitors. I absolutely fell in love with the Mackie HR824s. I A/B’d them with just about everything in the store and decided that as soon as I saved up enough cash that these puppies were mine. Here’s the question: Am I foolish in buying them since my room is small and will probably collect a lot of bass? Am I better off getting a smaller monitor with less low end?

I guess to a degree that is dependant on what room treatment you have. With a small room, it is preferable to keep diffused and reflected sound to a minimum (i.e: DEAD) and get some form of bass trap in the corners. Have a look in the Studio Design forum for "Wall Treatment" or "Wall Panels", I think there may be some ideas there for you.

:cool:

VirtualSamana said:
Am I better off getting a smaller monitor with less low end?
Your best bet is getting a set that accurately presents the entire frequency spectrum. You'll definitely benefit from having your room acoustically treated with aurelex ect...
I saw on the mars website they have a nice aurelex starter pack for 99 bucks. Defintely a good starting point and something worth checking into.
if you love the mackies get them and dont look back, you'll regret it later if you settle for something less.

Room size is definitely an issue to consider when deciding on monitors. My control room is 13 x 8 and I use event PS5s mainly and the bass response is solid. Given the room size youll have more standing low frequency waves with the mackies bec the sound has nowhere to go. I would go with a smaller speaker. Events are good overall but the stereo imaging is a little too forgiving.

If you do decide to go with a smaller speaker check out the JBL LSR 25P's, their cabinets are solid Aluminium and they weigh a ton, even at full volume the boxes vibrate very little, this means that the cabinets radiate relatively little sound backwards into the room, this helps the bass response to sound tight and focused.

Thanks, I think I may decide to check into the JBLs. I was kind of turned off by the way they look (don't like how they resemble boom box speakers) but from the reviews of them that they have gotten on this site it's obvious that I should consider them. I don't want my small room to become one big bass trap. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back