Monitor power amp

travelin travis

Any sugguestions on a power amp in the $200 range to power a set of passive monitors? I thought that I had a Hafler on order but apparently Zzounds sold it to someone else. Thanks Zzounds! :D

Anyone have experience with the Art SLA-1 or SLA-2? Adcom GFA-535? Anyone have a used TA1600 up for sale? I need an amp!

TravisinFlorida said:
Anyone have experience with the Art SLA-1 or SLA-2? Adcom GFA-535? Anyone have a used TA1600 up for sale? I need an amp!
Forget the ART and all those Samson-type amps.
A Hafler is what you need at that price point.

TheDewd said:
Forget the ART and all those Samson-type amps.
A Hafler is what you need at that price point.

The trick is finding one in my price range. They're discontinued. I ordered a TA1600 from Zzounds, they had 3 left, but they crapped out on me. They never even sent an email or anything. Arggg! I thought it was on the way and I was right. On the way to someone else. :mad:

I just found one review for the Art SLA-2 that was encouraging:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=39&storycode=9925

200 watts per channel would give alot of headroom.........blah, blah,.........just shoot me now!

Should I continue searching for a TA1600 or maybe try to pickup a used P3000? The thing that sucks is that I bought a pair of passives at the same time that I thought I was buying an amp. Passives are sitting in the living room waiting for power.

TravisinFlorida said:
The trick is finding one in my price range. They're discontinued. I ordered a TA1600 from Zzounds, they had 3 left, but they crapped out on me. They never even sent an email or anything. Arggg! I thought it was on the way and I was right. On the way to someone else. :mad:

I just found one review for the Art SLA-2 that was encouraging:

http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=39&storycode=9925

200 watts per channel would give alot of headroom.........blah, blah,.........just shoot me now!

Should I continue searching for a TA1600 or maybe try to pickup a used P3000?
The ART will sure get the job done, but since you plan on having something that will last you a long time, I tend to recommend Haflers and patience.

With the ACTIVE monitors out there, the amp business has pretty much been down, which is another reason for me to hate active monitors.

TheDewd said:
The ART will sure get the job done, but since you plan on having something that will last you a long time, I tend to recommend Haflers and patience.

With the ACTIVE monitors out there, the amp business has pretty much been down, which is another reason for me to hate active monitors.

I have a set of actives that will be up for sale as soon as I get an amp for my new passives. I should have stashed away an amp long ago.

I would avoid the ART and Samson stuff like mentioned above. Hafler is an excellent balance beween quality (both of sound and build) and of price. Personally, unless you are using very small monitors and never trun them up too much, I would avoid the TA1600. It sounds decent, but runs out of headroom pretty quickly. A used P3000 would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

I have been toying with the thought of selling my Crown D300. It is an older amp, but still works pretty well. The only reason I am seeling it is that it is on my secondary monitors (JBL 4311). I am hoping to add a Pass Labs or a parasound amp to my dynaudio's, so my old QSC can bump down to the JBL's :)

Doh! I panicked and got a used Art SLA-2. I think I can get all or close to all of my money back out of it. It'll be a stretch but I can still go ahead and spring for a Hafler. I suppose I could compare the two amps, pick one, and sell the other. So the Art amps are built poorly? Am I just asking for trouble? :D

Is there such a thing as too much power? If I pick up a hafler P series amp, would anything from the p3000 on up be fine? My monitors are only rated for around 70 watts continuous each. I know that the p3000 is fanless but are the fans on the higher powered p series amps too loud? I wonder if the fans would even come on at all for this setup.

Is the life of a big amp shortened by running it at low power? I think I read that some where.

Hell, maybe I'll be happy with the Art amp. Who knows.

Last edited:
To answer some of your questions, having a big amp is certainly not a bad thing. With the tinyest amount of common sense you can keep a big amp from blowing your speakers. When you are comparing power ratings however, remember to look at your ohm ratings. Often times and amp will put out 2 to 2.5 times more more under a mon bridged mode. Basically, an amp that puts out 500 watts in m ono bridged mode may only put out 175 to 225 watts with an 8 ohm stereo load. However, most manufacturers like the highest number of watts available to be the one shown as the "magic" number in advertisements and such.

As far as the fans go, they are not that loud. With a little common sense once again with placement, you can greatly minimize this. The fans will probably come on even under a small load. The fans themselves can also be replaced with an aftermarket quieter one as well. One thing people forget is that heat builds differently in rooms, and is not JUST caused by driving the equipment. If you put it near certain equipment and in a certain type of rack in a certain location in the room, you may actually be driving those fans from external heat sources, and not internal ones.

I am not sure if an amp really does wear itself quicker if it is too overpowered for the speaker system. This may be true, but I can not imagine that we are looking at a very appreciable difference over the life cycle of that amp. For all I know is it may only last 9.5 years instead of 10. That to me would be better than having the wrong amp for 3 years;)

One advantage of overpowering is both speaker protection, and noise specs. By properly overpowering, you are reducing the chances of your amplifier clipping and taking out speaker drivers. A lot of this depends upon the quality of the amps output, your speakers, and how you choose to use them. If you are constantly driving your system to a point where the amp is constantly hitting pretty hard, that leaves you considerably closer to an accidental square wave or other volukme related instruments. With a big amp though, you do have to pay a little extra attention to your speakers. There are audible signs that you are overdriving your speakers when you are doing it in a slow consistent manor. The real risk with overpowering is that some sort of event (someone floors the wrong fader at the wrong time, feedback etc..) may damage your drivers faster. As far as the noise goes, with a bigger ampo you typically run it further down in its capabilities. With smaller amps they often get run wide open and you get a bit more hiss and such. Of course the better the amp you get, the better it will perform in these endpoint positions especially.

Just some stuff to think about:)

thank's for the info xstatic.........and congrat's to the person that snagged that p7000. i would have got it but i read that even with the amp volume at minimum, it is still pretty loud. i'd like the ability to check mixes at low volume too.

i hope the ART amp works out. everything i've read so far indicates that the sla-1 / sla-2 are good amps. i thought that was kind of unusual for an ART product. :D

if not, hey there's always ebay.

Travis, I'm in the same boat

I kept putting off getting an amp and now they're gone. I wanted the next one down, I think, power-wise. Now what? Everything else I see is either cheap stuff that I assume is no better than my Aiwa stereo amp, or waaayyy overpowered. I don't have the risk-tolerance needed to buy used from somebody I don't know, and I cant find anything of quality that seems to have an appropriate power rating (about 75-100W).

Back