Latest additions to my Home Studio!

First I got an Apex 460 large diaphragm tube mic which sounded too fuzzy - I swapped the tube. Fuzziness gone, I tried various vocal test recordings which really brought out the short-comings of my Behringer Eurorack MX602A and ART Tube MP:

-blurry mids and lack of top end in spite of the 20-20KHz specs
-increased hiss (treble), nasalness (mids) and rumble (low) if I boosted the EQ at all on the Behringer
-dark, all around muddy sound with the Tube MP

-My AKG K240 headphones are wonderful for mixing, but for recording the open design just bled right into the vocal mic ...

So off to the Music store I went! I'd done my research and knew I was on the fence between a M-Audio DMP-3 and a Audio Buddy. I also knew I needed a new set of headphones, closed design ones that sounded clear enough.

And I needed all of the above at the lowest price possible, budget being an issue. So after comparing various preamps and headphones I picked a Audio Buddy (it should be a step up from the Behringer) and a set of Audio Technica ATH M20 headphones for tracking.

The sales rep urged me to keep my AKG cans as they're hard to beat for accurate monitoring, but that the M20's would solve the leakage problem ...

Can't wait to try them out! :D

Back