industry standard headphones

Yes the AKG 240s are semi open backed but i dont have alot going on in the background when i use them so it doesnt really matter to me. ;)

lol ok sorry to use the term "industry standard" just trying to get a view on which headphones are commonly used and are well known in there field, i think im gonna go with the sony's because i want to be able to use for tracking and have them for referencing!

apl said:
Or any other Behringer equipment??? :D :D :D

The Beatles Let it Be Naked was mixed with some behringer compressors at Abbey Road Studios. They seem to have alot of Behringer stuff.

No matter what term you wanna use, the AKG and Sony have got to be the top two most common headphones to see in a recording studio. I mean if Law & Order CI can have their Radio DJ murder victim using a pair of Sony's and an RE20, then you know that must be what the "pro's" use.

I was just looking at the MoreMe. I didn't realize you sold them Harvey. So if I understand from reading your website correctly, you buy them from a manufacturer, make a few adjustments, and then resell. That's cool. Who's the actual manufacturer, and do they have a website?

Last edited:
Just because something shows up on a tv show means abso-freakin'-lutely nothing!

Nor does anything you see in a video, unless it was done absolutely live at the time of recording.

Sometimes a set decorator just says, put a mic over here, put some headphones over there, and whatever is available is what gets used. They don't know the difference, and assume no one else will either.

That being said, yes they seem to be the most common, along with Beyers, Fostex, and even ATs.

But the thing is, what's best for tracking isn't what's best for critical listening! Those are two different purposes, with two different sets of requirements.

And no matter who uses what, it's still all down to personal preference. Don't buy something you hate because somebody else likes it. If you're hung up on the industry standard thing, at least choose your own favorite from among the list.

RAK said:
I was just looking at the MoreMe. I didn't realize you sold them Harvey. So if I understand from reading your website correctly, you buy them from a manufacturer, make a few adjustments, and then resell. That's cool. Who's the actual manufacturer, and do they have a website?
I only deal with the US Distributor and they don't have a website. I'd love to find the actual Chinese manufacturers and deal direct with them. I don't mention the different distributors names because it's been hell dealing with them and they just weren't interested in this market. They don't have a website that I could find.

notCardio said:
Just because something shows up on a tv show means abso-freakin'-lutely nothing!

Nor does anything you see in a video, unless it was done absolutely live at the time of recording.

Sometimes a set decorator just says, put a mic over here, put some headphones over there, and whatever is available is what gets used. They don't know the difference, and assume no one else will either.

The thing I said about L&O CI was a joke. But if you put together a sampling of video clips of radio and tv shows, and movies, which feature recording studios or music production, you'll most likely see RE20s, SM7s, upside down U87s with pop filters, AKG or Sony headphones, and a Lexicon L.A.R.C. sitting on the console. And there's a reason that's what you usually see.

This is of course, a generalization, and is not meant to be any kind of blanket statement.

Harvey Gerst said:
I only deal with the US Distributor and they don't have a website. I'd love to find the actual Chinese manufacturers and deal direct with them. I don't mention the different distributors names because it's been hell dealing with them and they just weren't interested in this market. They don't have a website that I could find.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

I could see how that was confusing, I sort of said the same thing twice I suppose. What I meant, was that I was making a generalization, and that you of course also see many other types of gear used in videos. By "blanket statement" I meant the gear I listed was not meant to "cover" everything, but that wasn't really what I should have used.

I've found one often needs to clarify every remark on this board, or else someone will jump up and down, at any little exception, which will of course be found.

Harvey Gerst said:

It's for reasons like this that I love this BBS so much. Ordered a pair of MoreMe cans today. Should have probably paid the extra $10 and ordered the Deluxe version, but I'm sure the regular ones will be far superior to the cans I'm using now.

If the mids on the MoreMe Standards are a little too much for you, you can pop them open (no tools required) and stuff some crumpled up Kleenex or toilet paper inside to smooth the mids out a little bit. We put 1" thick cotton or polyester batting in the Deluxe models, but anything that will absorb sound will work too.

And no, it won't void your warranty if you do that.

And you have 30 days (or 33 days, or 36.5 days) to decide if you really like them. If you decide they suck, you can return them for a full refund (and that includes the shipping charges).

Reactions: SRR
I'm not sure who the actual manufacturer of these cans are, but in a few of the smaller studios that I've done some session work in here in the New York area, they use a lot of the Vic Firth isolation headphones. They work. I have a pair at home and they're okay.
I know that these are a brand-stamp made for Vic Firth and they are probably the same as another set of headphones on the market, I'm just not sure which ones.

Back