I need a roadmap for my new mixer! Help

Wireneck

My 24 channel soundtracs solo mixer arrived today. After almost killing myself carrying it up two flights of stairs (its over 100lbs in the flight case, big and awkward) I finally got it unpacked and got a chance to really look it over.
So I have a few questions that might seem stupid but I gotta ask because these things haven't come up with my previous mixers. A manual would be great right now but I haven't been able to locate one.

-On the Aux/Groups there is a button for each one that says AFL. I know that PFL is normally Pre Fader Listen but what the heck is AFL?

-There is a stereo master out with L/R faders but in addition there is a "mono" master out fader. I know its the master section in mono but whats the point in having a seperate mono send? My last mixer just had a button that made it mono.

-There are no Solo buttons (this is the main thing I didn't like) but there is PFL. Im used to using the "solo in place" setup, how can PFL be used beneficially?

-My last mixer had a seperate "mix B" section because it was an Inline console. It had an output for a headphone amp that was fed from the mix B. This mixer doesn't have the "output for the headphone amp" so Im thinking of using my Aux 1 (you can set it to be pre or post fader. Is there any reason I shouldnt do this? How exactly should I route it to my headphone amp. Ive never used the aux as a headphone mix.

-Ok last question sorry guys. Since my previous mixer was an "inline console" it had tape returns. This mixer does not , so my tape is returning from Adat into the line in. How should I set the gain on the mixer when using the line ins as tape returns? It has increments for -20, -10 and further up I believe. On my last mixer, the gain didn't effect the tape returns. Should I just turn the gain all the way down?

sorry for all the questions

If you can find one in PDF format I would be more than happy to read the manual.

A manual would be great right now but I haven't been able to locate one

I guess you missed that part? Im not doubting that the manual is out there but im looking for answers now. Thanks anyways

AFL = After Fader Level Common on many consoles

Mono Master Out = Usually "better than average" live consoles have this feature. In the old days, not many house sound systems were in stereo, but there were some. In effect, you can gain two more "sub groups" when you are running mono by using the Left/Right Master section as sub groups.

Not having Solo In Place really sucks on as studio mixing console. :( PFL is okay, but SIP is MUCH better in my opinion for studio work. Oh well. You aint' got it, live with it. ;)

Just send the Aux 1 output to the input of your headphone amplifier. Done. If Aux 1 is pre or post fader selectable, most likely, you will want pre fader so that any adjustments you make on the channel don't effect the headphone mix. If you "need" eq to go to that headphone mix, post fader of course is the way to go. Not having a "Mix B" really sucks. :(

The first thing you need to determine on your mixers line input is whether the gain knob effects it or not. Just run something into the channel via the line input and turn up the knob. If the volume gets louder, then the line in goes through the mic preamp on the channel. If not, cool. If it DOES effect the volume, you next need to know if you are running the -10 outputs (on old Black Face ADATS, those were the 1/4" outputs, on the XT machines, it was the RCA outputs), or the +4 outputs, which on all models was the Elco connections.

Roughly, -12 on the ADAT should equal 0db on the mixer when you PFL the channel. You may need to adjust the gain knobs to achieve this level depending upon the output level of the ADAT. Etc.....You get the point.

How much did you pay for this console?

Wireneck said:
-On the Aux/Groups there is a button for each one that says AFL. I know that PFL is normally Pre Fader Listen but what the heck is AFL?

-There are no Solo buttons (this is the main thing I didn't like) but there is PFL. Im used to using the "solo in place" setup, how can PFL be used beneficially?

I'm pretty sure the AFL (after fader) buttons will work as solos.

-There is a stereo master out with L/R faders but in addition there is a "mono" master out fader. I know its the master section in mono but whats the point in having a seperate mono send? My last mixer just had a button that made it mono.

Well it's clever for live sound, I run the mains out of the mono and use the L-R mains to create a board mix or a headphone mix. Or you could create three somewhat different monitor mixes. Maybe you'll find a use for it.

-My last mixer had a seperate "mix B" section because it was an Inline console. It had an output for a headphone amp that was fed from the mix B. This mixer doesn't have the "output for the headphone amp" so Im thinking of using my Aux 1 (you can set it to be pre or post fader. Is there any reason I shouldnt do this? How exactly should I route it to my headphone amp. Ive never used the aux as a headphone mix.

I think I'd rather use a subgroup since you'd get stereo. If those are all used for recording, I'd use a pair of auxes. I'm a little odd in that I like using postfader auxes for recording rather than subs.

-Ok last question sorry guys. Since my previous mixer was an "inline console" it had tape returns. This mixer does not , so my tape is returning from Adat into the line in. How should I set the gain on the mixer when using the line ins as tape returns? It has increments for -20, -10 and further up I believe. On my last mixer, the gain didn't effect the tape returns. Should I just turn the gain all the way down?

Should be 0dB or maybe +-12dB but you'll have to experiment.

Mshillarious- thank you for the info.

The AFL buttons are only on the subgroup and the aux's. So that wouldn't help me as far as soloing the main 24 tracks.

-I see what you are saying about utillizing the mono out. I can't think of anything right now with my current recording setup, but I guess it can't hurt to have it.

-If I used a subgroup for a "headphone mix" how would I adjust the individual volumes without affecting the level of what is being sent to the recorder (adat in my case)?

-I can set the trim gain to 0 db I just wasn't sure if you were supposed to use the gain at all. I suppose my last mixer may have had the tape returns set at 0 or something already.

Soundcraft uses the same terminology on their mixers.

Go to Soundcrafts website and download the manuel to the Spirit 8 or Live 4 and it will help you better under stand - www.soundcraft.com

AFL =After fader Listen
PFL = Pre fader Listen

The advantage to having PFL on each channel means that you can hear what’s going on in that channel with having to turn the fader up. If it was AFL the fader would have be up thus injecting the signal into your mix. Your sub groups and Aux send are AFL because they don't get any signal if the fader is off anyway.

many studios would utilise the mono out for checking mix compatibility in mono i guess. but if you have pans on a master sub group (been awhile since i looked at this mixer !!) your sending the master stereo mix out of , you could just centre the pans.
on the line inputs , i would set each one up at about -3db on its meter using the input trim, then ride the faders to mix.
for a headphone mix i would use a seperate headphone monitoring mixer that folds back tracks to the line output. this is what i do.
look around for old tascam and fostex line mixers. can be had for 80 bucks or so. this will leave the console channels free for recording and mixdown.
actually, the IDEAL set up ive used in the past is TWO mixers.
one permanently set up with mics attached for recording , and the second for monitoring and mixing. saves a lot of repatching. a lot of big studios do it this way.
just some ideas.peace.

Back