Help w. a NEW RIG

Smitty23449

So I am going to purchase a new rig...

I need something that will record 2-track stereo for several hours. Afterward, I need to sync up video to it that I record on a separate consumer camcorder; nothing fancy on the video end, it just needs to be synced. I plan on using a nice cheap pair of MXL 991s for a stereo mic set-up.

I am open to any suggestions on this. It has to all be done for under $1300 (not including the video camera... already have that).

Any ideas? Help!

Thank you!

the problem is going to be getting a sync signal on the vid so the audio will run with it... most daws will use time code(maybe all daws)... the only work around i'm aware of is as your tapeing send the smpte to the audio tracks of the vid recorder... better to prestripe it but doubt that's gonna be possible... then when you playback use the audio out as the smpte sync for the daw... in other words he vid track has to be the master... then you'll need to lay it back to a second recorder for mix down.... and if that doesn't make sense then you need to find someone to help on the job....

To do it right, you'll need more than 2 tracks because you'll need one track for laying down the smpte time code unless you go with a unit that has built in time code like some digital recorders do or even some DAT decks. Are you going with a digital camcorder? You could always use a mixer and run right into the camcorder for the audio and save yourself the syncing issue.

I've synced up non time code audio to video before and it can be done. I used cool edit pro to stretch/shrink some sections to make up for the tape transport wandering of the audio master and the tape transport wander of the video tape deck. A real pita.

Yep, that's gonna be hard without some kind of timecode generator locking it all together. Starts to get very expensive as you're entering the pro TV realm.

As the other guy said - I'd try my best to get a good audio signal on the camcorder tape, otherwise you'll have a disaster trying to sync it all.

Back