Having a problem with my zoom mrs-4

spikey

Hey guys, well, today a friend and i went into town and picked up a zoom mrs-4. its pretty neat, compact, but i cant figure out how to record a track, the manual aint helping, cause it seems when i go by the manual, it doesnt do what it should? here's what i do so far.
1.turn it on
2.hit song/utility/tuner
3. it asks me if its a new song
4.hit yes
5.tells me there's an error, but then the red "active/recording" light turns on on track 1
6. i figure it must be ready if it says it is so i hit record.
7. finish my test recording and hit stop but the time marker says that no time has passed.

if anyone uses/has used this zoom mrs-4 and is willing to share how to just do a basic recording of one track (and maybe two simultaneously would be nice too ;) i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

Thanks for your reply, i figured out how to use it, works pretty easy, i just needed to format the disk, and you have to hold play and record at the same time. i am looking for a larger card, 128mb or a 256mb card would be nice, if you have one for sale, or anyone else does, give me a pm.

Is Zoom MRS-4 Good for Looping?

I enjoyed this thread. I'm thinking of getting a Zoom MRS-4B for looping segments of analog recordings on two tracks of it, then overdub two more tracks of stuff. I'm wondering how good the Zoom MRS-4 is for looping.

Here is verbatim a post I just made to the "other equipment" forum. I wonder if anybody will see it there, though:

I'm trying to figure out a relatively inexpensive way to take sections of 2-track analog recordings and "loop" them as two tracks of 4-track recordings. I create a lot of "live-to-2-track" analog recordings of solo bass and stereo effects. What often happens is that I do pieces that are 10-15 minutes long, but the best stuff occurs in segments of about one to three minutes in length. I want to be able to dump each good segment to digital, loop it, and then add stuff (percussion, ambient guitar, echoed voice, etc.) to the remaining two tracks. Another way to say it is that I want an easy way to edit the 2-track recordings, then add other parts to the edited results.

The owners manual of the Zoom MRS-4B ($150 street) indicates that recorded sections can be copied and pasted (I'm assuming one could "loop" sections in this way.) Obviously ProTools or similar software on a computer would be a good way to accomplish this. But rather than investing that kind of money and time in learning it, I wonder if a portable hard-disk recorder would accomplish what I want to do.

The question is, by copying and pasting a given section in sequence, would the result be "seamless", or would there be a noticeable glitch or silent part between each? How good are portable hard disk recorders for looping?

Or are there any other simple, inexpensive suggestions for accomplishing what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.
Michael Yoder
Bassist, Ambient Jazz Duo
http://www.myspace.com/ambientjazzduo
Edit/Delete Message

Back