Good converters other than Apogee

BeniRose

So we all know apogee makes killer converters, and we all know they cost a fortune. I wanted to start a thread that may help resolve my issue, but also create a discussion on converters that budget converters that are better than stuff that comes with most budget interfaces (I'm talking all in one interfaces, something with 8-channels and 8-preamps like a Firepod).

I'm planning to get a Focusrite Octopre in the not-to-distant future as an upgrade from my firepod's pre-amps. I'd still be running it into my firepod, as that's the only 8 channel interface I currently own. I was originally going to also replace my firepod with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 to get a total of 16 channels (8 on the saffire, 8 on the octopre if i got the digital out card). However, I think i'd be more interested in getting better converters (something with a digital in, so I could still eventually run the Octopre in through ADAT lightpipe) and then slowly get some boutique pres so I could actually have a legit studio someday.

My real question is: are there quality converters for the same price as a Saffire Pro ($700) that are going to be better than the ones in the Saffire Pro? I was looking at maybe getting a Motu 828, but I wasn't sure if these were any better. I've heard really good things. Also are the converters any different on the 828 than on the 8pre? If that's the case, I'd just get the 8pre, so I have 8 extra preamps while I accumulate my boutique pres. I'm not just looking for an answer to my question, I'm hoping we'll have a good discussion on budget converters as well, because the only thing I've ever read is that the only converters worth spending extra money on are high end stuff.

Back