Audigy 2 ZS - ASIO driver latency

Moonlapse

I'm wondering what sort of latency I can expect from the plain vanilla Audigy 2 ZS using Creative's ASIO drivers. I do alot of home recording and need a card that can rip under 10 ms output latency.

My system is a

Athlon 1700XP
512mb Generic DDR

currently running a shitty Terratec 512i (worst budget card in existence next to the AC97).

I know it's stupid to assume that a $160 card can be used for serious recording application, but it's all I can afford at the present time and the presence of ASIO support makes me semi-optimistic about the card's ability to fullfill my requirements.

I can't give you exact numbers for latency, as I'm in the process of reinstalling everything after a HD crash, but from my somewhat limited experience, the latency was rather poor. This is in reference to the Audigy 2 EX, not the newer ZS, but I don't believe they have changed much since then.

Do you already own the card? If so, use it, play with settings, read FAQs. I know a lot of people happen to record with them, so they may be better suited for info. If you don't own it yet, there are a few things you can do. If you plan on using your audio PC for games, then a higher end card most likely won't support the games (RME, others), so having an Audigy in the machine alongside of whatever other card will give you the best of both worlds. On the other hand, if you are just doing audio, save up a little. I don't know much about lower cost cards, so I hope someone else can respond.

Thanks alot. I hope someone will be able to give some more exact figures. I'll be pleased with anything around and under 10 ms.

Yes, I will be using this PC for alot of gaming as well as sound recording, so I need something that hits the grey area and is able to cover all those decently. Given of course that it fits within my miniscule budget.

ASIO Latency

What's your sampling rate? The larger the rate, the more latency. Hard to answer your question since I don't actually own that soundcard. I can get back to you with a chart that shows the latencies of my ASIO supported soundcard, and that should give you an idea.

5150 Musician said:
What's your sampling rate? The larger the rate, the more latency. Hard to answer your question since I don't actually own that soundcard. I can get back to you with a chart that shows the latencies of my ASIO supported soundcard, and that should give you an idea.

Actually I just found a forum which is only based around the Audigy card and got alot of information from there. Alot of people seem to use the 3rd party kX ASIO drivers and manage to get in and around 5ms with multiple effect processed tracks.

Thanks alot anyway.

Back