Amp Risers

Nick The Man

Well... do they actually make a difference in sound? I was looking at the Auralex Gramma and I was about to walk out the door to go buy one when I thought of the brilliant idea to post on here asking about them first. So, what do you guys think?

the GRAMMA is rather simple: A thick piece of MDF board, covered with carpet, riding on two big strips of VERY dense foam rails (feet). The gap between the two rails is filled with a piece of Auralex's standard acoustical foam.
:rolleyes:

This is what you should do:

Take the $50 out to the middle of the street(when no cars are coming) and throw it on the ground. Immediately get out of the road and never again think about that $50.

Find a trashy old blanket, rug, or pillow to set your amp on. If you want to get serious, go to a carpet store and ask them for a few feet of extra pad and carpet.

You may be wondering why I am recommending that you throw your money in the street: Simple. You don't deserve it.

:rolleyes:

This is what you should do:

Take the $50 out to the middle of the street(when no cars are coming) and throw it on the ground. Immediately get out of the road and never again think about that $50.

Find a trashy old blanket, rug, or pillow to set your amp on. If you want to get serious, go to a carpet store and ask them for a few feet of extra pad and carpet.

You may be wondering why I am recommending that you throw your money in the street: Simple. You don't deserve it.

BAH! Really that bad? Well I guess a good question is, do amp risers make a big enough difference to go out and buy one or build one or is it just not worth the time?

Getting the amp off the ground does make a difference. Putting the amp on casters is enough to get a benefit from it. Putting it on a chair is good, or just getting some carpet padding like was said.

I hear a difference when my speakers are up off the floor. More notably, when I'm recording. I usually put a mic up into the grill then another about 3 feet out front and a few feet up. Getting the amp off the ground seemed to help get rid of some of the boom in the bottom end. Not only that, when you sit in the line of the speakers, you get to hear what the close mic is really picking up rather than the reflections off the floor. You might just try tilting it back.

You certainly don't need auralex do experiment with this though. Like the others said, milk crates, a chair...what ever.

Alright cool, maybe I'll build something small to get it off the ground. I never thought about the reflections off the ground, thats a good point.

Pay a midget to hold your amp. Those fuckers are strong.

It sounds like this guys on a budget. I'd say renting one probably isn't the way to go over the long run. Take out a loan, get some easly monthly payments set up and just buy one. :eek:

FWIW, I have the onstage amp stand and really like it. It's much sturdier than it looks in the online picture. I really like the raised height, and the angle. Much easier to tweak, and it actually points towards my ears, so I know what sound it's making.

Just don't build a box to stand it on. A crate is great - esp with some carpet on top to isolate vibrations to the floor.
A chair with a slightly tilted back and seat, again with some carpet, is REALLY good so long as you can isolate vibes from running through the legs into the floor boards.
A box or floor can resonate/reverberate and muddy things up in a hurry. Try putting your boom box on top of a right way up bucket - & crank it up (the boombox, not the bucket) - that'll give you an idea of the potential of the prob.
If your at the beach though, bury a bucket in the sand, right way up- make sure it is empty though - & put your boom box on that. Party ultra bass style.
Rent one of the vertically challenged? I've never heard of such a thing! Hire them, borrow them, abscond with them, even buy them maybe, but rent?

i found a noticeable difference when recording my amp after rising it up on a stool, and i've always liked to have the amp higher than the floor at gigs, to the point where i've considered getting an amp stand (i'm at uni now, so probably won't even be taking my amp to gigs, and just begging/borrowing/stealing them off other bands on at the same time, haha, so it won't be necessary.)

i used a big stool, not a chair when i was recording, because i didn't think it'd be all that good for the ventilation to have my peavey classic 30 (tube, gets Hot) up against a chair - might not make a difference, but the stool was sturdier anyway, haha.

Andrew.

Back