≈$400/PR Monitors & ≈$75 Headphone Recommendations?

urobolusmusic

Good morning,

My Klipsch computer speakers got fried a few years back and I've been forced into using: 1) crappy $5.99 desktop speakers, or 2) wireless headphones which pop, hiss, and drop out constantly.

My writing has picked up recently due to school slowing down for me and I think the cost of buying some decent studio monitors is now justifiable. (Couldn’t see spending around $500 for something I’m only going to use a few weeks between semesters).

Anyway, just curious if anyone has recommendations to offer for these price ranges:

- ≈$500 studio monitors, or
- ≈$425 studio monitors and ≈$75 headphones

Not sure what information would assist you guys in helping me out with this so ask any questions you might have. (Room dimensions, style of music, etc…). The only reason I am looking at head phones too is because sometimes I record at night—I live in an apartment—and I like being able to crank up the headphones if I am listening for something specific while I’m tracking and writing without bothering my neighbors.

Thanks for the help!

Uro

BTW, I'm looking to get active monitors and the price is for the pair, not each.

However, I was thinking of picking these up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-NS10-Pair_W0QQitemZ260549818725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9fab965

But they sound like they are not in great shape and the fact that the casing has been repainted and all Yamaha labels have been removed makes me very hesitant. Also, NS10's seem to be more for reference and not day-in, day-out monitors.

PS. Anyone know why Sweetwater dropped KRK and ADAM?

Thanks,

Uro

I personally love the Yamaha HS80's.I bought them 2 years ago and I love them. They are very flat and accurate and imo have great mids,highs and low end bass. The mids and highs arent harsh either.

I treated my room with a little auralex and it made a huge difference and helped me enjoy them even more. Also not only are they great for mixing,but they are great for playing back music also.

For headphones I will always recommend Sennheiser HD 280 pros. I have had mines for 7 years and absolutely love. Good quality and very durable. They are $99 I believe.

Back