16 track reccomendation

Johnie Baima

i have been recrording music for a while, i have a fostex mr8 which served me well but i want to upgrade to something with at least 4 simultaneous tracks.

i have a presonus bluetube pre and a behrninger eurorack 1202.

as for mics i use a sm57, mxl 991 series large and small diaphram

i was looking into the Fostex MR16 HD it isnt too expensive, do you think that the equipment i have would sound good with it or should i look into getting a differnt recorder.

edit-

as for mixing i run it all onto my PC and use cubase SE

Last edited:
You could get a used Fostex VF160EX in great shape, for about $400.00. But you have to do the Ebay thing, and there are always risks, but you can use PayPal and have a good deal of security.

The VF160 series is VERY solid, better than he MR series, can do 8 at once (two XLR), or 16 at once with an ADAT preamp (Behringer ADA8000 for instance). All mastering/burning can be done on the VF.

However, if you are just planning on exporting from the HD to a PC, then Korg has an 8-track unit that looks pretty cool.

Another vote on the Fostev VF160.
I have 2 of them and love them for tracking.
I do 99% of my mixing with reaper and audition.

Noob alert!

I just started recording, and the MR-16HD was what I ended up buying. So far, I haven't had tons of time to work with it, but I like what I can do with it. If you're importing to a PC to master, you don't really need a lot of bells and whistles. My first mixes, I just used Audacity for the "mastering," and even that sounded pretty good to me. The added bonus is the fact that it was only $400 brand new.

I just started recording, and the MR-16HD was what I ended up buying. So far, I haven't had tons of time to work with it, but I like what I can do with it. If you're importing to a PC to master, you don't really need a lot of bells and whistles. My first mixes, I just used Audacity for the "mastering," and even that sounded pretty good to me. The added bonus is the fact that it was only $400 brand new.

Fostex has always made great multi-track units, starting back in the reel-to-reel days. I don't think the MR16HD "feels" as solid as a VF160, but in the digital era, feel doesn't necessarily mean anything. It is a very capable unit.

Back