want to use some triggers-what do I need?

patlang12

OK I have been recording some drums latley and I have been having a lot of trouble getting a decent bass drum sound so I was thinking I might want to use a trigger on it. What do I need to get to do this. I have a few bass drum samples that sound good. I also have acid pro 4. Do I need some hardware besides the trigger itself? Also does the quality of the trigger matter much? If I understand right the only thing the trigger does is tell whatever it is plugged into that it has been hit. Right? I want to do this on a cheap budget (like almost everybody else here ;)) so keep that in mind. Ok thanks a lot!

Another option you might consider, is if you can record your bass drum with a separate mic on a separate track with good isolation. You can then
replace the recorded bass drum track with your custom samples, using software.
A few free plugins that might help with this are: the Tobybear PeakFreak or
the KTfx KTDrum trigger. They will convert each bass drum trigger to the same note#. Once you have a recorded midi track with this string of note numbers, you can edit them, and then have that midi track play a sample player VSTi
like the free LoopAZoid.
If you have something like Sonar, or Cubase, all of this will be pretty staightforward.
This is all a lot of hassle, so hopefully, someone else could come up with
a better and simpler solution.

Last edited:
Vectron said:
You wouldn't even need to trigger off the drum, if you had recorded your bass drum with a separate mic on a separate track, and had good isolation. There is software that would allow the bass drum part to be replaced by your custom samples.
Really? What is it called? Is it free or cheap? Do you have any links of something?

i'm feeling similarly, but only because my drummer isin't used to the double bass my songs call for, & he's having trouble getting a steady sound from each hit. which leaves me wondering what to do :(

So can I do this to a track thats already been recorded? I have acid pro 4. What do I need to get to do this? Does anybody else have a better solution? Or any suggestions to go along with this?

Yeah I have been googling stuff. I found a download for peak freak, but you have to download a bunch of other stuff with it so... I am going to look at that other one

I can't find any information about KTfx KTDrum trigger. So if I got peak freak what process would I go trough. What else would I need? Like I said before I already have acid pro 4. Would this and peak freak be enough. I have all the tracks already recorded. What should I do. Also in the future I might do this also so what would be the best method when I don't need to get it done quickly and I don't already have the tracks recorded?

Ok, ktdrum trigger looks cool and so does peak freak. Right now I am leaning towards ktdrumtrigger. I am still confused on how to do this. :confused: This is what I have so far: isolated drum track, acid pro 4, and the sampled drum I want to use. What do I still need. If anyone could help me here that would be great because I am totally lost. I don't really know anything about midi so.... yeah help would be great!

I know that, and I may look into triggers for next time, but it sounds like vectron has some good ideas of how to replace an already recorded track so I want to know if anybody can help me do this.

patlang12 said:
I know that, and I may look into triggers for next time, but it sounds like vectron has some good ideas of how to replace an already recorded track so I want to know if anybody can help me do this.

Pat, did you also look at Jtrig?
http://jens.org/stuff/jtrig/readme.htm

Read that page for a quick tutorial on how to use Jtrig with Cubase VST5.
He even mentions that he tried PeakFreak.

OK, I just looked up the features of Acid Pro 4, and it appears
that it does midi and handles VST plugins, so it may be
possible to do it all in Acid, but I am not 100% sure.

You have to do the second step now which is to convert your
isolated recorded drum track to a Midi track using PeakFreak,
Jtrig, or whatever. This will be the toughest step and you probably will have to play with settings to get a decent
conversion.
You then will clean up the midi file to make sure there are
no extra, missing, or misplaced notes.
You can then, use the LoopAZoid sampler VSTi plugin with
your custom drum sample mapped to the note number used
in your midi file, and have the midi file play through that.
Next, I think you can bounce down the midi file to an audio
track, and make sure it is lined up properly with the other
drum tracks so everything is in proper sync.
I would keep the original isolate drum sound track in Acid
while you are working, because you can always mute it.
That way you can compare it to your new replacement bounced down audio track.

Last edited:
ez_willis said:
If the drum is already recorded, a trigger isn't going to help you. A trigger is used when tracking.

In this case, we are using a special trigger to midi note plug in that takes
the audio (ideally one drum sound) and convert it to a midi note number MIDI
sequence, which will then play a sampler with the desired new wav sound.

Vectron said:
In this case, we are using a special trigger to midi note plug in that takes
the audio (ideally one drum sound) and convert it to a midi note number MIDI
sequence, which will then play a sampler with the desired new wav sound.

Gotcha, I don't use MIDI at all, out of ignorance mostly, so I didn't know it was possible. Not to beat a dead horse but, is it easier than Drumagog, if you've used it?

Back