Studio Drum Set

Michael Jones

First of all, I'm not a drummer. I don't play drums. I'm not that coordinated. :)
But I am considering a drum set for my studio. I could spend about $1000. Could I get a good "Studio" drum set for this amount? What would you drummers suggest for a set in that price range?

ooops! Forgot to add: I would expect to track mostly rock, but I think I can find more of a market niche catering to jazz style musicians. So, what would be an appropriate drum set for that style, in that range?

First off, typically a jazz kit and a rock kit are going to be rather different. Jazz kits usually have pretty shallow toms and smaller kicks while rock kits usually have deeper toms and larger kicks. That's not to say that you may be able to find a good compromise though. For that kinda money you may want to look at used kits. Is that $1,000 for just the drums or drums, cymbals, and hardware? If the latter you definitely need to look for something used and may have to settle for something not quite as good as you'd like. If the former you probably still should be looking for something used.

I'd think a 5 piece kit might suffice. Something like 10", 12", and 14" or 16" toms, a 20" kick would be preferrable if you want to do jazz and rock, and then a snare, probably a 5"x14" would cover the most bases.

I agree with elevate, $1000 would not really be enough for a good new kit. A mid range 5 piece kit (something like a Yamaha Stage Custom or a Pearl Export) will run about $800. Plan on putting better batter heads on the kit (this adds $100).

The key is buying good cymbals - you can improve the sound of a mid range drum kit with better heads and good tuning - but cymbals are what they are. For the studio you need mid to upper range cymbals which will cost about $200 for hi-hats, $200 for a ride and about $125 for a decent crash - so you're looking at a minimum of $500-$600 just for good cymbals (something like Zildjian A's, Sabian AA's or Paiste Signature).

This brings your total cost to around $1500 (for a mid range kit made of Mahogany and/or basswood with the minimum cymbal set-up). If you choose a Birch or Maple kit (much better sounding) you're getting into $1500 - $2000 just for the drums - you still need to add $500 for cymbals.

Mahogany and basswood are not ideal for jazz. Even Birch which is a very good wood for recording is not best suited to jazz. A thin ply maple kit works best (Maple is "warmer" sounding). Jazz kits tend to have an 18" kick drum whereas rock tens to have a 22" (or even 24" kick. As elevate said a "fusion sized" kit with 10", 12" and 14" toms and a 20" kick would be the best compromise. A standard 5 1/2 by 14 snare would probably be best - I would suggest wood over steel.

If you buy used, make sure you have a knowledgeable drummer look at the kit (before buying) to make sure the lug threads are OK and that the shells are true round with good bearing edges,

I have found that the sad truth is many drummers don't take good care of their gear and when they do sell it, it's pretty beat up.

Naturally, you need mics and the proper gear to track the drum sounds - more $$$$. Lastly, keep in mind 50% of a good recorded drum sound is the room. If you don't have a good sounding room, you will be less than satisfied with the recorded sound of the drums.

I've read your posts and you sound like you've paid your dues - I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

I think I have the mics and the room covered, but it sounds like I need to save up some more for the drums.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Buy a $500 set with average cymbals. Then rent anything required by clients above and beyond. My advice is not to spend money of items that there will be a high degree of variability in styles. I wouldn't consider purchasing guitars for the same reason. If you own and play an instrument its good to get high quality instruments. You can space out cymbal replacements and new purchases over a decent amount of time to have different ones available. Variety is good, don't get me wrong, but alot of band bring their own drums. I used to have set of Pearl Exports with Zildian Crashes N hats witha Sabian Ride in the studio and it worked well even as a player. Rooms and Mics are where you aught to spend.

SoMm

Back