struggling with bass drum

DTBlalock

wow, i have been working with this for a while. but i am recording an EP myself playing everything and everything on the set sounds good but the bass drum. if an of you have ever heard the old underoath i want it to be like that where its clicky/popping and stuff. right now its to mellow and jazzy. the head is a remo legacy 24 inch coated. Im using the original rogers beater which is the softer stuff. the set is a rogers xp-8. any suggestions?

DTBlalock said:
wow, i have been working with this for a while. but i am recording an EP myself playing everything and everything on the set sounds good but the bass drum. if an of you have ever heard the old underoath i want it to be like that where its clicky/popping and stuff. right now its to mellow and jazzy. the head is a remo legacy 24 inch coated. Im using the original rogers beater which is the softer stuff. the set is a rogers xp-8. any suggestions?
it might not hold for long but try taping a quarter to the beater...
and see how that sounds....and also take out the resonant side head and mic close directly at the beater.

scoop your mids around 500k (sweep a bit to find what'll work for you). try boosting around 10k, or adding an exciter if the boost isn't enough. Also, for the compressor settings, try starting off with a 4:1, 20ms attack, 1-2ms release, and as hard of a knee as possible. if you compressor isn't that flexable, get it as close as possible. You also might have to adjust the attack time for the tempo of the song...but since you sited underoath as an example...that attack time will usually work for the mid tempo stuff. Also for future reference, get a wooden or rubber beater for the kick and a focus dot, it'll help a lot.

coated heads give the drum a more mellow tone. Try a clear 2 ply head for a sharper attack. Wood and ruber beaters, and also those dots with the metal in them that are made to give the bass drum that clicky metal sound.

Back