Rhythm Section

I want to buy a rhythm machine. I've been looking at Boss' DR-5. Does anyone own one of these things? I'm just wondering what people think about it. I have a Roland VS-880EX, and I'm doing some home recording. Instead of buying some mics to record my drums, I wanna know if it's worth it to get the DR-5 or something like it, which will allow me to add other instruments, and it's portableness compared to an entire (drum)set. Thanks.

I have a Boss DR-5 Dr Rythym Section and I love it. It is wonderful for guitarists of bassists because it's set up like a guitar fretboard. I use it to record all of my drums and bass. You can also use it as a guitar synthesizer(although it can't process it polyphonically). Overall though, unless you want to spend over a 1000 I think Dr Rythym is a good choice.

I have to agree that the DR-5 is great gear. Soild samples and the guitar keypad layout has been priceless for me. The guitar interface isn't that great, but it makes for a fun toy when work boggs you down.

I vote the Dr-5 as well. Most of the sounds are rather realistic, being drums or assorted instruments. A fine feature to it is the ability to mute out any of the other parts in a kit (each kit normally plays four tracks) allowing you to get just the type of line you want. Recording your own patterns or even songs is fairly simple. On a mild warning however, the Dr. 5 is NOT touch sensative. You can play with more or less accent by adding a button touch, but it can be a mild downside when you are just trying to rip off a drum track with feeling. All in all, a very flexible machine. add to it midi, foot controllers, and a few amp simulations and you have a good general recording tool.

Even

Back