Need advice from experienced people

Dethska

Not a Mod
I know these questions have been asked a thousand and one times, and I apologize in advance.

I need recommendatoins on a doublebass pedal.

I'd also like to get some recommendations for hi-hats (cymbals not stands).

I'm a cheapskate, but I don't want junk. So middle ground recommendations would be great. I play punk, rock, and some quieter styles too. I need good overall sounds. Also will be mainly using the kit for recording in case that makes much difference.

Thanks mucho for the help.:D

Last edited:
I personally prefer larger hi-hats because I use them a lot.
Mostly I play jazz for myself but I'm called on to play all sorts of music. My regular hats are medium thin Zildjian custom K's 15". When I want that sharper sound for rock I sometimes switch down to 13" custom K's. If you buy new you pay for it. I paid only $100 for each pair used, that's the way to go. Mastersound bottoms give you a nice crisp sound with a bit more sustain if that's what you're looking for.
I had a pair of newbeat 14" hats but I sold them because they just weren't right for me (they're best for walloppers).
I have my old pair of Yamaha strap drive double bass pedals and I like them just fine.
If I were buying new, I would consider the Iron Cobra wider chain drive for the price(about $240 on sale).They have a real nice feel and are very resposive. The DW 9000 is awesome and smoothe and the price of a decent drum kit. Look for pedals that have a ball bearing sleeve where the return spring hooks up to the spindle. These give you a much smoother and responsive action than the older pully and spring ring set-up. I've converted mine using Iron Cobra parts.
I bet I'm a cheaper SOB than you are. :)

There is hardly any way you can be cheaper when it comes to drum equipment than me.

I played on the same heads for four years. I played on the cymbals that came with the kit until the hats were wavy on the edges, the crash had an hourglass shape so many pieces had broken off, and the 18" ride had a 16" crack from edge towards bell. When I HAD to replace the cymbals I bought a Zildjian ZBT pack :eek:. My bass drum pedal was a used Camco that I ended up putting a piece of bike chain on, cause I kept breaking the straps. When the base broke on it, I used a scrap piece of plywood to fashion a mounting plate so I could keep using it. When that broke, I just wrapped the whole base of the pedal with duct tape. I eventually replaced it with a Sonor kick pedal. My ride cymbal stand is completely stripped out so I keep it in place with more duct tape. And I'm currently playing with broken sticks because I'm too cheap to buy new ones.

Sorry, I felt challenged to prove my cheapness :D

I'm trying to break away from cheapness, cause nice stuff is better. But I still can't afford to buy the DW9000 stuff.

Keep the suggestions coming. There are really good.

though not super-cheap....I can recommend the Iron Cobra double pedal...it feels great, it's adjustable as heck..I like it alot better than the DW5000 double - it just feels more responsive, more 'controllable. not sure about the cheaper double pedals... you could probably pick up a used iron cobra or dw for a decent price.

regarding cymbals....don't cheap out!! buying a good set of hihats is a good investment - they will likely last a long long time. I've been playing the same set of 13" new beats for about 17 years (and I bought them used from a guy who had them for 10 or more years).

Sorry if you misunderstood me. I USED to be that cheap. Now, I'm looking to invest in something good that will last me awhile. But I can't afford top of the line. Mid-grade stuff. I just don't know where the line between usable and junk is as far as Hardware.

As far as cymbals, there are so many different brands and lines, I don't know what would be best for my situation. I'm looking for advice from people that have used different types of HW and cymbals. I'll definately check out the iron cobras. They look really nice. I'm definately going to look for used stuff, but I still need to know what to look for. :D

I'm not sure what double pedals are like now adays.... I used to have a DW one, but I couldn't get into playing like that, BUT I love my single DW and wouldn't trade it for anything!
(Well anything else I've tried so far that is....I've heard ALOT of good things about the Iron Cobras)
As far as high hats go... If you even SEE Sabian B8's back away from them slowly, then run!

(Those old camco's sure were fixers. I used to have several Ludwig 'Speed King's' that would break in such a way that your foot would suddenly drive it though the bass drum head! Slingerland used to make a real hum dinger pedal that was yellow and black like a bee...Thosed required creative repair solutions on a daily basis as well.)

:)

Do you live near a Guitar Center or other large music store? They usually have a myriad of pedals setup on little practice kick pads. That will be the tried and true way to see what feels right to you. I would try all of the good mid-level pedals which include:

DW 5000 series
Tama Iron Cobra
Pearl Eliminator (the ones with the adjustable cams)

The new Yamahas look intriguing as well but may be out of your cost level. I would also give the top-of-the-line Pacific pedals (900 series?) a go.

Same thing concerning hi hats. You never know till you try them. I also suggest used, or play them at a store and watch ebay for an identical set. Good luck!

Dethska said:
There is hardly any way you can be cheaper when it comes to drum equipment than me.

I played on the same heads for four years. I played on the cymbals that came with the kit until the hats were wavy on the edges, the crash had an hourglass shape so many pieces had broken off, and the 18" ride had a 16" crack from edge towards bell. When I HAD to replace the cymbals I bought a Zildjian ZBT pack :eek:. My bass drum pedal was a used Camco that I ended up putting a piece of bike chain on, cause I kept breaking the straps. When the base broke on it, I used a scrap piece of plywood to fashion a mounting plate so I could keep using it. When that broke, I just wrapped the whole base of the pedal with duct tape. I eventually replaced it with a Sonor kick pedal. My ride cymbal stand is completely stripped out so I keep it in place with more duct tape. And I'm currently playing with broken sticks because I'm too cheap to buy new ones.

Sorry, I felt challenged to prove my cheapness :D

I'm trying to break away from cheapness, cause nice stuff is better. But I still can't afford to buy the DW9000 stuff.

Keep the suggestions coming. There are really good.

Okay! You win!!

But I bet I'm better at getting top-of-the-line drum gear at really po' man prices! :D
I'm REALLY picky about my drums, cymbals and hardware. I get the very best that I can and I'm willing to do work on it. I buy mostly used and rom people that don't know what they have.
I'm Scottish!
I don't scrimp on sticks or heads though. All of my rims, rods and lugs MUST be in good order and fresh. I have several different pedals and keep them all in good order.
BTW, the GC in Carle Place, NY has a really nice used Iron Cobra double pedal for under $200. They have a lot of single pedals including a reall nice used Axis long board for $149.

Rimshot,

That's where I'm trying to get to. Getting good gear for low prices. And keeping the heads, sticks, etc. in good condition. I'm actually playing with a broken stick now, but for some reason it records betters. (WTF? Yeah, the snare seriously sounds better with the broken stick, I don't know why, it just does!)

I don't really live near a GC. Unless you consider an hour's drive near. And GC's intimidate me when I don't know what I want. I hate salemen. :mad:

On hi-hats: What are the differences between New beats, K's, Z's, A's, etc., etc. What lines are usually used for what styles? And what is the sound difference between 13",14",15"? Thanks.

Oh yeah, thanks for the recommendations of the GC in NY, but that's kinda a long trip from Ft. Collins, CO.:D

Back