I'll have a whiskey please

Krystof01

Hi,
I'll keep this straight to the point:
(it's got nothing to do with whiskey)

-I would be appreciative of any information and thank you in advance.
-I aint a drummer, but can.
-I am currently working on my first album (at home) and will shortly need to lay some drum tracks over the guide tracks I initially layed.
-I don't agree in electronic drumming (however practical).
-I don't want a kit just for recording only (but mainly).

Questions:
-I could rent a pearl drum-kit (don't know which) from a studio for £50 a day.
-I don't know exactly know how long I will need it for and don't like renting (wasting money) so I want to buy my own (I have always wanted one). Any opinions so far?
-As I particularly don't like wasting money, I don't just want to buy a begginer kit (not advisable for recording anyway). I want a kit in the higher end of the middle range (if there is such a thing).
-I have searched through past threads and have seen the below that have been mentioned:
Yamaha DTX
yamaha stage custom
DW
Tama Grandstar customs
tama rock star
pearl export Session and Export Series
-any opinions yet.

-should I look at buying 2nd hand? (I know it aint advisable if you are 'drum knowledge deficient').
-would you rent or buy.
-any other info like what to try and avoid/ensure (not just brand names, specific info as well on drums).

I said thanks in advance didn't I, just checking.

I just bought a Tama Rockstar kit for $400 at Guitar Center but it didn't come with any cymbals/stands or a snare (not even a bass drum pedal) which was why it was so cheap, I really like it alot and I would definitly recommend it. There is a Tama Swingstar "Special Package" in the Musician's Friend cataloge that includes a Sabian B8 cymbal pack and a drum throne for $570, which is a great buy.

DW make some very "expensive" high quality sets so if you can afford it this is the set to get. Pacific is lower ended gear made by DW so you might want to look into these too. I haven't had any experience with these, but I have played a DW set and they are incredible.

I haven't played it but I know someone that has the Yamaha Stage Custom and he says it is very good.

Unless you're looking to spend alot of money on the DW set, I think you best bet would be to look into the Swingstar with the cymbal pack.

Hope this helps

-tkr

I just bought a Tama Rockstar kit for $400 at Guitar Center but it didn't come with any cymbals/stands or a snare (not even a bass drum pedal) which was why it was so cheap, I really like it alot and I would definitely recommend it. There is a Tama Swingstar "Special Package" in the Musician's Friend cataloge that includes a Sabian B8 cymbal pack and a drum throne for $570, which is a great buy.

DW make some very "expensive" high quality sets so if you can afford it this is the set to get. Pacific is lower ended gear made by DW so you might want to look into these too. I haven't had any experience with these, but I have played a DW set and they are incredible.

I haven't played it but I know someone that has the Yamaha Stage Custom and he says it is very good.

Unless you're looking to spend alot of money on the DW set, I think you best bet would be to look into the Swingstar with the cymbal pack.

Hope this helps

-tkr

Hello Krystof01, Why not try and look in your local newspaper classified section for a good used set and bring along a drummer friend to check it out if your not sure of yourself? If you do not know any drummers, go to your local music or drum shop and ask questions. I am sure there are people out there that are willing to help you out. Just a quick note: make sure the shells are not cracked or warped and the rims are not bent or crooked. Check out Modern Drummer Mag for helpfull hints and advice. Good luck! Later...Den

When recording, a low cost set sounds like a low cost set. But more importantly, if you don't have decent mics and as importantly a decent room, your recorded sound will be significantly compromised.

If you buy a half decent kit (with half decent cymbals) you can expect to pay close to $1,000. You may get lucky and find a used kit for less - but most used kits I've seen are being sold for a reason. Either someone is up-grading or someone has a kit they don't use - which probably means it wasn't a serious commitment to start with (ie: cheap drums to start with). In either case the drums may be lacking. Whatever kit you get, plan to commit an extra $80-$100 to put new heads on.

The Pearl Export, Yamaha Stage Custom, Tama Rockstar, Mapex M Series, Sonor 2000 (among others) are all entry level kits in the $600-$800 range - unfortunately, all of these kits are lower grade woods (Mahogany, Basswood, etc. - the Yamaha has some Birch) - However you should be able to get decent sound from them. (I would still recommend better heads). But you still need cymbals (expect to pay about $200-$400 for a Zildian or Sabian cymbal pack). You still have the issue of mics, compression, room, etc.

I understand you are not a fan of electronic drums - but the Yamaha DT Express can be had for $1,000. It has decent sounds and depending on your recording medium you can record the MIDI performance and bring the drums in as virtual drums, which gives you more options on drum sounds (you don't have to commit to specific sounds until later in the recording process). More importantly, you don't need mics. a good sounding room, etc. etc. etc.

I don't mean to present negative views, I love the sound of live drums - but on a home recording budget, it is very difficult to get accustic drums (in particular low cost drums) to sound as good as an electronic kit.

In any case, best of luck with your release.

Back