I had a helluva night!!!!!!

GalacticCelt

We started tracking drums for my bands new CD...

My drummer just bought a nice set of Pearl Maple Custom Studio...blah blah blah...types...very pretty!

So anyway, he starts setting everything up, and it just sounds bad!!!!!

I dont' mean like instant mashed potato bad, I mean like BAD!!!!!!

He ended up going and getting a new head, some new beaters and a bit of foam for the kick, and after a bit of tuning, we set up the mics....

Now I, like some of you, am a low cost, low money man, so my choices of mics are limited....

We ended up using three different techniques depending on the songs...

1. Close mic : Beta 52 on kick, PVM480 OH's, 57 on snare and toms
2. Open : Beta 52 on kick, PVM 480 OH's behind the kit (aimed at the toms), Shure PG81's in front of the kit (aimed up at cymbals).
3. Wide open: Beta 52 on kick, PVM 480 OH's, KSM27 across the room.

I was pretty pleased with the results of all, but the one that surprised me was the second. We were doing an upbeat, funky rock thing and it really bought the sound out nicely.

I don't really have any questions about it, but wondered if anyone else had tried anything like it before? I have a helluva time getting drum sounds because my drum room / control room are one in the same, so monitoring is pointless....have to get the drums set, record a bit, listen back, reposition, etc.....I AM up for any ideas on that to make it easier, outside of getting another room (which is the eventual plan).

I ran across a thread today though, and am pleased to know that I should NOT use clips on drums and 57 caps should spin loosely!!!!!! lol

Why did I even mention that!

GalacticCelt said:

I don't really have any questions about it, but wondered if anyone else had tried anything like it before? I have a helluva time getting drum sounds because my drum room / control room are one in the same, so monitoring is pointless....have to get the drums set, record a bit, listen back, reposition, etc.....I AM up for any ideas on that to make it easier, outside of getting another room (which is the eventual plan).

I ran across a thread today though, and am pleased to know that I should NOT use clips on drums and 57 caps should spin loosely!!!!!! lol

Why did I even mention that!

I have that same problem all my stuff is in the same room, the best thing you can do, outside of getting another room, is to get some closed back, headphones that are pretty flat, that should take out enough of the sound so that you can hear the two seperately, if that doesn't do enough, get some hearing earmuffs and put those on over, all though it should be fine. just make sure your headphones are similar to your monitors.

Back